Grumpy old man Trump is still running against Biden

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/22/grumpy-old-man-trump-is-still-running-against-biden.html

14 Likes

cwaa

35 Likes

I very much look forward to the Dems winning in November and things getting back to normal - ie Trump & Friends continued legal problems.

32 Likes

I really think they could not imagine Biden stepping down under any circumstances, so they thought they were a lock to win. Because Trump would never step down. He could be on life support and he wouldn’t step down. He could die and someone would take over his Twitter account and they’d still run him.

Making a decision that limits your own ambition for the good of the country is not, at this time, in the Republican list of possible things. It is inconceivable to them.

32 Likes

Nym checks out!

(And also, I agree.)

18 Likes

Someone suggested that this is part of a deliberate Republican effort to force Biden to resign, putting Mike Johnson a heartbeat away from the Oval Office.

9 Likes

To be fair, he’s always confused.

14 Likes

robert de niro hes a punk hes a dog hes a pig GIF

18 Likes

I do object to him being called a punk… cause Trump is the polar opposite of punk rock! Otherwise, right on!

27 Likes

Dogs and pigs are also kinda great, but I’m going with the vibe.

26 Likes

Will Ferrell Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

18 Likes

Has Trump not noticed that Biden is still President of the United States, and, as such, should be having exactly those sorts of calls? (Wait, what am I saying?!)
Indeed, a key comment people have been making for a while is that Biden is very good as President - age and experience really help here - but too old to do both that job and the job of being an active candidate on the stump.
You can see this with Trump, in fact. He’s too old to do both jobs too, and he chose to never stop being an active candidate which is why he was so terrible as President, because everything he did was subordinate to his campaigning, including those phone calls that led to one of his impeachments.

And, for obvious reasons, we tend to elect the charismatic campaigners rather than the administrators. It’s generally only when there is no choice that we resign ourselves to the “dull” one (and are usually then surprised when it turns out that the “dull” one is actually competent. But that’s a different argument.)

21 Likes

That’s why he included “demanding his campaign schedule”.

5 Likes

The tell here is Trump thinking the only reason to talk with Xi or Putin is for campaign purposes.

33 Likes

Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

8 Likes

84---1
Yr Humble Narrator, Sept '84

28 Likes

Keep away, old man (Slip kid)
You won’t fool me
You and your history (Slip kid)
Won’t rule me
You might’ve been a fighter (Slip kid)
But admit you failed
I’m not affected by your blackmail
You won’t blackmail me

• Slip Kid
    Track #1 of The Who By Numbers has some relevant things to say to Trump.
3 Likes

I’d wager a good amount that DJT is genuinely unable to articulate the concept of being President while not running for President. Even that pretty basic level of nuance(?) seems to be beyond him now.

7 Likes

Cf. Starmer. An accomplished administrator and was regularly accused of being dull, during his campaign.

4 Likes

Trump is much too old to run. They should try running a much younger fascist. /s

Republican National Convention Rnc GIF by PBS News

:poop: Shit shit shit :poop:

3 Likes