Gun fight from Collateral explained shot for shot

I think that’s very likely. I first saw it a year or 2 after it came out. It was one of the movies that was being passed around my college on a CD-R (Torrents being a very new thing at that point). Even then, I thought parts of it were pretty heavy-handed (the puppy, seriously?), but still thought it was so cool.

I dunno, it just scratches a particular itch I have for a certain kind of action movie that favors style over substance (see also Underworld).

3 Likes

Can’t go wrong with mashing up Brave New World, 1984, Fahrenheit 451 (and many others)…

2 Likes

I have a rug that does that.

2 Likes

Ah, okay. I stand corrected then. Thanks for post!

I already know it for martial arts, so I was keen to see gun training. In my experience, compensatory wankery correlates positively with the percieved deadliness of the style, and this increases with the introduction of weapons. Since the fedora hierarchy of bad dudery goes something like “Fist>Foot>Knee>Elbow>Stick>Sword>Knife>KATANA!!!>Gun” (for some reason bows don’t feature) and at KATANA!!! you’re looking at approximately 70% pointless dick-wagging, you can see where my hypothesis is going.

3 Likes

Tom Cruise is sadly overshadowed a lot by his personal life, but if you look at what he does in films he repeatedly demonstrates a great degree of physical competence and mental discipline.

He does a movie where he drives fast, he actually learns to drive fast, he learns to shoot guns, he climbs shit, etc. I’ve also seen him emote convincingly on at least two occasions (Magnolia and Taps).

4 Likes

“Perps”
“Bad guys”
“Thugs”
“Scumbags”
“Lowlifes”
“Hood rats”

I like “bad guys” in particular - the un-ironic use of a term that was invented by children too young to understand anything about society.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think that Vickers video has a lot of Wankery in it, there is some production bravado and swagger, but man, compare that to almost everything else marketed to firearms enthusiasts and this is really understated.

@Mister44, definitely am familiar with Vickers, he forgotten more about shooting than I will ever know. The interesting thing in the video for me is his note from Hackathorn on getting the pistol under your head for aligning the shot. Interesting concept that I haven’t heard before, and not the model I follow in shooting from retention.

If you want to crank up the wankery scale and watch some firearm trainer promotions just put “James Yeager” in your youtube search. If you want to see some freakin’ hilarious parodies of gun wankery turned all the way up to 11 from firearms enthusiasts check out the Dynamic Pie Concepts channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/cyrusjj/videos

LOL. Yes, James Yeager is a joke. I am not really bet into tactical shooting stuff, but I’ve seen enough of Yeager to see he is a tool. I am sure it will confirm suspicions there is gun wankery afoot.

Yeah, I reacted the same way. The whole video made me think of those way-out-there gun nuts that love to fantasize about any scenario where their piece has the last word (with no consequences of course).

I’m not averse to guns in my entertainment and I’ll probably watch Collateral now (never heard of it before) but I get a little weirded out when I see someone who’s practically aroused by “gunplay”.

2 Likes

The Cracked podcast talks about his incredible superhero ability to move his body into the extremely precise position he intends effortlessly, which allows him to run or make intense action shots look very good on long shots.

1 Like

Ditto.

“Tweakers” = me and everyone I knew twenty years ago. Were our lives all worthless?

1 Like

Are you disappointed in Boing Boing?

Well, except you have to maintain physical fitness to do martial arts instead of being an armchair guy who only gets up to lift a firearm occasionally.

Don’t ask the “law and order” types of the GOP. Of course, first they’ll want to know your race in order to answer.

1 Like

Can’t really argue with that.

Everyone knows, you need a Callaway XR Pro for home defence.

Desensitisation through overexposure?

I guess it depends upon how many times you held Jamie Foxx up at gunpoint…

1 Like

:thinking:

3 Likes