Gun manufacturer pitches the "JR-15", a rifle for kids styled on the AR-15

And can’t be upgraded to a larger magazine.

eta: How long before someone makes a 50 round mag?

6 Likes

A home-made 50 round magazine probably wouldn’t be very reliable, but taping two magazines together so you can just “flip” it when the first one is empty is an old standard.

10 Likes

No, I mean a third-party manufactured magazine. That’s currently legal in the US, right?

2 Likes

100% pure ghoul. Every day that children are being maimed and killed by firearms in the US, you’re “winning.” That’s 12 kids a day killed by firearms; higher than disease or motor vehicle accident.

You want more Kyle Rittenhouses? Because this is how you get more Kyle Rittenhouses.

19 Likes

People want to know why my opinions are what they are? Because this

is a daily occurrence in this country, and a significant number of our population are OK with that. Numbing the disgust at taking of human life leads to folks thinking that shooting a mother and her 10 mo baby is an acceptable price to keep their guns available and easy.

18 Likes

If my hobby was drag racing gravel trucks through school zones, at some point I think I would have the self-awareness to find a new hobby, even if I was a responsible gravel truck racer.

20 Likes

Even if your gravel truck had special safety features, like an extra-loud horn?

14 Likes

Even then. I’m not hurting anyone, after all. I keep my drag-racing gravel truck in a locked garage and only drag race through simulated school zones. But I would hate to be associated with those criminals who drag race their gravel trucks through real school zones. And I might begin to suspect that the drag-racing gravel truck manufacturers don’t have my best interest at heart, after all. Especially when my toddler begs me for the latest mini-gravel truck drag racer, marketed specifically to his demographic.

15 Likes

The real injustice here is that you’re required by law to have insurance for your gravel truck. Sure, you can afford it, but what about all the poor people and minorities who need gravel trucks of their own?

10 Likes

How else are they going to learn gravel truck racing? (I assume that, as a responsible gravel truck racer parent, your gravel truck is fitted out with a raised driver’s seat and pedal extensions, and the keys are kept up on a high hook out of reach.)

11 Likes

You only keep one? Man, no wonder you’re so ready to give up on the hobby. Real gravel truck school zone drag racing fans will collect at least a few of the popular models you hear about running over students in the news.

14 Likes

He could take them to Switzerland, where many people also own and race gravel trucks but where few people get run over because it’s an ethnically homogeneous society.

There are other, more ethnically diverse OECD countries where such tragedies are also infrequent. Unfortunately, for some reason we’re not allowed to do comparisons on a per-capita basis so we can’t discuss them.

12 Likes

Well, I can respond to this, as someone who lives in a very rural area in a rural state.

I can’t walk on my own land, because locals regularly climb the fence and walk by the No Trespassing signs to go fishing in my pond and sometimes even hunting in my woods. When caught – even if we’re simply taking a photo of their truck and license plate on the side of the road – they pull a gun. That’s how they keep getting away with it. Because our only options are to carry a gun every time we are taking a hike or fishing, which pretty much guarantees escalation, or present as not a threat and thus have a chance of living through the encounter. Or, as I’ve decided, to simply not use my own land, for safety’s sake.

It’s not one or two people, it’s been quite an assortment over the years. One even seems to have pretended to be a fishing guide and got gullible visitors to pay him (how he explained climbing a fence to break onto the property, I have no idea).

Nearly everyone here carries guns with them everywhere. They all learned as children that it’s normal. They all went hunting with their dads and uncles and cousins when they were growing up. They know that having a gun means they can protect themselves if they sense they’re in danger…so when they commit crimes and get caught, well, that makes them feel that they’re in danger. Plus, it makes suicide much easier to effect without a chance of surviving. That’s another issue in my area, as is domestic abuse of course, which is always more dangerous when there’s a gun in the house.

So, speaking from rural America, I challenge the notion that raising children with deadly firearms is a safe and family-friendly hobby. It has long term consequences for others in the community, as well as within their own families.

It doesn’t make a safe community, and it doesn’t make a lawful community. What it makes is a community where everyone has to operate from fear, and shooting and killing is considered to be expected. That is not the world I want to live in.

24 Likes

That’s misleading. Swiss citizens are required to keep a gravel truck in case of a gravel shortage, but the odometer and fuel gauge readings are carefully recorded, and woe betide anyone who races in a school zone without authorization.

14 Likes

My fellow gravel truck drag racing enthusiasts often think of Switzerland as a gravel truck drag racing paradise, but few recognize the reality. Gravel trucks have to be locked up in a separate location from their fuel; they cannot be driven publicly; can only be driven at tracks and must be transported without wheels or fuel; every mililter of fuel has to be accounted for at the track at the beginning and the end of a driving session; and finally, insurance is required, expensive, and if you violate even a tiny aspect of those rules there are severe penalties. Most gravel truck enthusiasts in the US would chafe under that tight of control.

15 Likes

Nah, it’s because they’re all white ethnically homogeneous. Or so I’ve heard from American gravel-truck racing hobbyists. These are experts, who own multiple gravel trucks and who’ll tell us about all the different technical aspects that make it impossible to regulate them.

12 Likes

I’m Australian and I’ve been shooting.

At school.

No, seriously, my high school had a rifle range and a couple of ancient .22 rifles on campus. That’s where I learned how to shoot a rifle.

9 Likes

Which state was this?

4 Likes

Victoria.

5 Likes

That’s what ammosexuals mean when they say that an armed society is a polite society. Nobody is going to argue with somebody pointing a gun at them.

12 Likes