Gun-toting mom shot in the back by her 4-year-old may go to jail for 180 days

All the things you say are true. But being shot is really not a slap on the wrist. After she’s recuperated, a community service order with a suspended sentence and probation would suffice. Her child doesn’t deserve to be deprived of his mother.

3 Likes

Hey! I know that background track!

1 Like

You are right. It is just sooooo easy!

5 Likes

Hang on… The Putnam County Sheriff’s Office in Florida is headed by Captain Gator DeLoach.

I’m not sure it’s possible to have a more Floridian sounding name for a Floridian police officer.

12 Likes

If I can say something pointlessly provacative on the interwebs, they should give her a choice: You can keep your gun or you can keep your kid.

14 Likes

Clear cut case of stupid redneck, that is.

3 Likes

“Captain Gator DeLoach…”

Perfect!

1 Like

Meh. Her child was almost deprived of her child by his mother.

A drunk driver with a child in the back plows into a tree in a single car accident and is the only one injured.

Do we fahgeddaboudit? No. The law is followed with the discretion appropriate to the circumstance.

Read it, the sentencing ain’t occurred, the trial hasn’t occurred, only the charge has been laid and it’s the appropriate charge. The courts are bound to consider the charge the child and the mother. The most likely outcome is not, in fact, going to be jail, depending on whether the accused is convicted/has a record etc etc.

But you know what, just like the drunk driving, this is probably not a one-off, it’s probably a pattern of behaviour given the limited history provided. Her 4 year old can wander a moving vehicle, any idiot knows what goes under a seat goes to the back seat upon accelerating, especially a heavy smooth object on carpet, in most modern cars. No holster, not even in a purse and not even truly accessible, if she put it there so it would be handy for actual use.

No, child welfare and public safety laws are made for stupids because no, their own misfortune isn’t actually enough and left unchecked it will not remain their own for long.

25 Likes

Absolutely. That’s why ‘discharge without conviction’ can be a fair outcome, even in awful cases like this one.

But given the incarceration rate in the US, it seems the need for retribution runs rather deep there.

1 Like

Jaime Gilt. I guess since that is her name, she can’t really plead Not Gilty.

I will show myself out.

13 Likes

Swing and a miss friend. Your example has a charge laid and considered by the court, which exercised discretion.

That’s one of many likely outcomes in this scenario. She’s been charged, has not had a day in court, so the results of those charges remains to be seen.

We -don’t- forget about it. We follow the process through because the incident warrants it.

edit - and it isn’t really comparable given the circumstances. The mother’s loss in Gilt’s case is negligible if compared to your example.

4 Likes

Well yeah. He couldn’t be tried as an adult unless he were a black four year old.

14 Likes

I so, so wish I could believe that.

8 Likes

Likewise:

… implies a charge and a conviction. I never suggested she shouldn’t be charged and appear, merely that 6 months behind bars seems excessive for something she’s already being punished for. And given the USA’s incarceration rate, it would be no surprise if there’s no discretion shown.

2 Likes

Sounds legit to me.

Gator Deloach! The captains name is Gator Deloach! He lives in Florida and he’s a cop and his name is Captain Gator Fucking Deloach! Are we sure this isn’t just a promo for the new season of Archer?

4 Likes

Well not so fast. If I’m not mistaken, signs of sociopathy have been observed in even younger children.

2 Likes

Jail time serves no purpose and would be a waste of taxes and time. Community Service would be a fitting punishment. Possibly even safety talks or something like that.

Also, the Springfield XD (actually a Croatian made gun) has no external safety. So the kid didn’t need to flip a switch. They are basically a better looking version of the Glock. And personally that is why I wouldn’t use them as a carry piece with children around, even though I own one for USPSA matches.

7 Likes

"Florida mom shot in the back by her 4-year-old. . . "

Pussy. He should have looked her right in the eyes as he pulled the trigger.

Like a man.

Oh there’ll be discretion, not to worry. She’s not a POC, can afford things that suggest at least a middle-class income, and won’t have any difficulty finding competent representation.

I like @Mister44’s suggestion, she should be (after being taught it) talking about firearm safety, publicly, beginning with why she is required to talk publicly about firearm safety.

The US incarceration rate is fed off specific populations first, others second, and so on.

-edit- & yes I see my error, my trouble is that I’ve become inured to headlines discussing sentencing that invariably start with what is possible over probable to specific cases, and tend to ignore them altogether. So I see someone saying “That ought not be” and think “It won’t be, why then do they entertain that it might?” and forget that it was part of the “story”

11 Likes