Gunfire interrupts congressional baseball practice

No one ever thinks they are the tyrant.

2 Likes

OK, this just rubs me the wrong way.

For one thing, I don’t recall anyone trying to get “we are all Democrats today” trending after Gabby Giffords was shot or “we are all LGBT today” after the Pulse Nightclub massacre.

For another one of the Capitol Police who was wounded in the act of stopping the shooter is Crystal Griner, a lesbian woman of color. A woman whose wife was only able to join her at the hospital because of marriage equality laws that these Republicans actively opposed. It is an insult to her heroism to proclaim “we are all Republicans.”

17 Likes

Especially not republicans.

5 Likes

It’s moronic anyways because it should be “we are all Americans,” dropping the team names entirely.

3 Likes

Oy… I had not even considered the impossibility of determining the age of an elf.

one of the reasons lessig irritated me so much during the primary campaign was because he appeared to believe in magical thinking and had no common sense about anything related to the u.s. political system. he appears to have learned nothing in the interim.

@milliefink has it about right. as a liberal democrat i am both empathetic with and sympathetic towards the folks who were shot yesterday, violence should not be an inherent part of the system. still, despite my empathy, despite my sympathy, i find the policies the overwhelming majority of republicans tend to stand for to be horrifyingly oppressive, repressive, racist, and anti-poor. they go out of their way to behave in a fashion that makes it very difficult to feel for.

just a few weeks ago the governor of my state, republican greg abbott, joked about keeping a target with a group of three shots in the bullseye by saying “i’m gonna carry this around in case i see any reporters.” when the navy announced a couple of years ago that they were commissioning the warship uss gabby giffords people around me at work joked that it wouldn’t carry any guns, would only be able to turn to the left, the electrical system would be messed up, and you couldn’t go to the restroom because there was a hole in the “head.” this is the reality of being a democrat in a republican majority state.

12 Likes

2 Likes

A lesbian woman of color putting herself in the line of fire to save the lives of Republican legislators reminded me of nothing so much as an X-Men plot in which the Mutants risk their lives to save Senator Robert Kelly.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.