Halloween 2021!

Scary stories!!!

Elvira Mistress Of The Dark Wow GIF by filmeditor

12 Likes

Awww shame, i had an absolute blast with it. I get that it can be preachy with the monologues going on for seemingly forever but i did find a lot of them quite moving actually and to me the series was very critical about the dangers of blind faith when there is a literal demon flying about the place. I say that as someone who has zero religious leanings though. And i can’t remember the last time i enjoyed hating a character as much as i hated Bev.

5 Likes

Yes, some of those were unbearable.

Yes, she had a Bible passage ready for any occasion!

4 Likes

Neighborhood block party a few years back:

Go all out

18 Likes

Thanks for this! Highly appreciated

5 Likes

They did a great job picking winners this year! Spine-tingling!

8 Likes

Is anyone using interesting methods of delivering candy to trick-or-treaters? One of my friends has a huge delivery system set up, with a slide and such, but we have no yard, only a small stoop/alcove off the sidewalk.
I don’t feel comfortable being close to the germy little monsters (and their germy parents) so I’m trying to figure out something to keep them 6ft or more away, and searching for something to craft rather than buy (we have tons of strange junk laying around waiting to be crafted). Any suggestions?

5 Likes
3 Likes

The most common technique used in my area isn’t interesting, but it works. Neighbors put long tables on the sidewalk, and place the candy on the far end. That way, they can see the visiting munchkins picking up their treats without getting too close.

8 Likes

It isn’t very interesting, but like I said above, we’re doing a waist level clothes line with pretty purple rope, string lights, halloween-themed baggies, and colored clips. The kids can unclip a baggie and only touch the baggie they take, instead of rifling through a bowl. We’ll sit outside to see the costumes and talk to the kids from a decent distance.
If we had the stuff, I would love to rig a creepy looking treasure chest or coffin so I can open the lid remotely for a little startle-scare, have it all lit up inside, and let the kids grab a bag from there.

7 Likes

We did the same last year, with a pulley system operated from the porch. There were also quite a few PVC pipe candy chutes in the neighborhood. I doubt there will be as many this year, as now that schools are fully opened the trick-or-treaters probably won’t be at any higher risk than on any other day. Of course if your concern is for the adults passing out candy that’s different.

6 Likes

I remember seeing a bunch of “candy slides” last year. Here’s one example:

9 Likes

OK, I think I’m ready to call this one done. Debating whether or not to make a cycloptic isosceles dreamscape demon as an accessory.

14 Likes

Halloween sloth, as seen on a door in Annapolis MD

19 Likes

Ooh, one of the seven deadly sins. Spooky!

10 Likes

I have something to look forward to over the weekend.

(If you’re unfamiliar with Brian David Gilbert, he ran a video series for Polygon called “Unraveled” for a couple of years, doing goofy stuff like calculating the cost of OSHA violations in Smash Bros and cooking every recipe in Breath of the Wild to see how good they actually were. [EDIT: Also the Pokemon Rap at PAX])

10 Likes

That guy RULES.

2 Likes

Agreed!

Here’s some of his non-Polygon stuff, which fits the tone of the season (warning for creepy things):

6 Likes

I assume at least one of the songs on that album is “Mummy, Mummy, Mummy”

3 Likes

The names of these costumes slay me! “Just try to slide under copyright infringement, just barely.” Oh my…

6 Likes