Halloween 2022

Who are those characters?

7 Likes

IRL Other Mother!!!

Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

From Coraline, the Other Mother:

Coraline and Wybie…

If you have not seen it, you should!

And read the book, which I think is even creepier than the movie.

15 Likes

That explains it, thanks!

My youngest was petrified when I read that book to her (I didn’t realize it was so scary, I picked it because it was by Gaiman so I knew it would be well written). I, too, felt very uneasy the further I got into it. When the movie came out I knew I really shouldn’t see it. So I never did!

Interestingly, now that she’s an adult she LOVES scary movies and I still don’t.

13 Likes

It REALLY is a scary book… the part at the end with the other mother’s hand scuttling aroundshudders

The movie is great. Harry Sellick directed it (Nightmare Before X-mas, etc). I didn’t find it as scary as the book, but it’s still pretty creepy…

9 Likes

I found this by following a bunch of tiny, unlabeled florescent yellow arrows posted on poles around the neighborhood:

Not far away was this stark, minimal display

ETA: TIL that if there are multiple images in a BBS post click to enlarge also let’s you arrow through all the images. Nice!

10 Likes

Some spooky podcasts to listen to…

I’ve listened to a couple of episodes of the Old God’s of Appalachia, and it’s worth the time!

7 Likes

I love that show so much! It is perfect spooky season listen!

ETA: I would also add The Creepover for it’s adorable, fun queer sleepover vibe. So sad they stopped making it

1 Like

OK, I’ll try it! I can always turn it off if it gets to be too much for me!

8 Likes

True!

the nightmare before christmas halloween GIF

11 Likes

15 Likes

Most of my family didn’t stick to a common theme for our costumes this year but we still had fun making them. And we had fewer hot glue gun burns than usual, so that was nice.

13 Likes

Is that an algae helmet?

6 Likes

It’s Medusa, complete with snakes that strike out at her enemies.

10 Likes
8 Likes

If Coraline gets too intense there’s always the other Neil Gaiman movie about a girl who travels to a parallel world populated with spooky doppelgängers of her family and acquaintances.

9 Likes

Mostly Edwardian era postcards, with lotsa kitties esp for @knoxblox

A genuine Gibson Girl - 1910 Gibson Art Co. postcard

1930s batty Beistle card

Jack o’Lantern as chaos engine

16 Likes

My BF and I went to see friends’ great bands perform on Fri, Oct 28th. We were headed home on Woodward Ave, one of Detroit’s main drags, and we’d come to an unlit large park just north of Highland Park.

A pair of misty, foggy, cloudlike plumes, seemingly without source, were emitted across the sidewalk and crept toward the right lane. We both saw this and were quite surprised - neither of us had ever seen such a thing!

I tentatively said that fog had been mentioned by the weatherman, but my honey scoffed, immediately insisting, “That wasn’t any damn fog! They Were GHOSTS!

Sat the 29th, we went to see old friends play at a big backyard party. They’re called The 3-D Invisibles, and they play great surf-y songs about monsters and spooks from film and literature. I naturally told them about our experience the previous night, and they were suitably surprised, and amused by my BF’s response. :smiley: Not long after their first set, we then headed to a bar across town to see more old friends play. That was another great show.

We were heading home, driving along McNichols (Six Mile Rd), passing by one of the many ambiently lit empty lots, when a pair of misty, foggy, cloudlike plumes, seemingly without source, were emitted across the sidewalk and crept toward the right lane!!! This time I opened my window, but when I looked into the empty lot, there was no fog in it - there was no way to figure out whence these ghosts had come, either!!!
jaw

ETA: Better usage & ahem clarity

13 Likes

Cats Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

11 Likes

That’s a great film, too!

6 Likes

Awww, Shironeko!

Glad you like the cards, too. The Art Nouveau-y ones are esp good.

5 Likes