Happy Blade Runner Month

I don’t recall much “Happy” in Blade Runner.

Don’t piss on my November dammit!

4 Likes

This to me was the major flaw of BLADE RUNNER 2049, L.A. wasn’t cast in the sequel…

(edited for spelling issues)

1 Like

@Jean-Luc-Turbo BBS Ensign
Anyone want to storm the toymaker’s apartment with me in downtown Los Ángeles?
Bradbury Building - Wikipedia

Yes, but there are so many neat buildings in L.A. to see. Plus, J. F. Sebastian can get us to Tyrell, and Tyrell has the key to life.

The second I saw the title card BoingBoing posted, I heard the opening to the movie, specifically that large loud drum like sound that coincide with the flares.

Link above jumps to 3 minutes and November title card, or start from the beginning to all of the opening atmospherics and the Vangelis.

4 Likes

Blind Fury is not a good movie. But Hauer’s great in it, as he is in nearly everything.
Best ones included Hitcher, Flesh+Blood, Ladyhawke, but for one of the ultimate, trashy, scenery-chewing performances, Split Second. “We need guns! Big f***ing guns!”

1 Like

Ooh, interesting. I’ll keep that in mind for the eventual rewatch! As far as I remember I liked BR2049’s designy-ness.

1 Like

Yeah, and the dystopia we ended up with is so boring, quotidian compared to BR. I am disappointed.

8 Likes

…and I think that was some kind of asian marshall arts before the fly me zones

I thought the replicant did some work addressing some smooth…

Can’t make it. I’m busy griping about “skin jobs” (in English, not gutter Cityspeak) with Capt. Bryant down at police HQ.

Blade Runner was the first movie to teach me what a difference detailed art direction made to a film. Scott and his team didn’t skimp, including on things no-one would notice like the labels on the killer parking meters and the covers of the magazines sold in this horrible society.

14 Likes

Well. . . perhaps don’t watch the director’s cut then.

5 Likes

Well… at least they got the “dystopian future” part right.

2 Likes

My Nexus 10 is here patiently awaiting instructions.
… and looking anxious.
Should I be concerned?

When the original BR came out, ‘twasn’t much of a stretch to imagine 80’s downtown L.Á. turning into BR’s 2019 depiction.

With gentrification that began 20 years ago, DTLÁ is now more like the high functioning dystopia of London as depicted in Children of Men.

1 Like

Yes. It wouldn’t be a big leap from the side-by-side contrast between Skid Row and the Arts District to the start of this sequence:

1 Like

The plot is a bit bum and I prefer the voiceover as it plays out more like an old detective movie.
Whichever version you like, nobody really watches it for the plot, do they? We watch it for the amazing world that was created for it to happen in.

7 Likes

Per Typset in the Future, you’ll notice a glaring issue in his ID vs. Incept date. His ID is 41717 implying an incept date of April 17th, But incept date was the 10th. Clearly the Tyrell corporation is not using automated build processes, and I cannot help but speculate that the replicant’s short life-span is because of a poor engineering culture.

9 Likes

When I visited Union Station many years ago, there was a display about the history of the station, with information panels mounted on walls made from bits of the set for Bryant’s office.

3 Likes

The Korean replicants have already taken over.

2 Likes
6 Likes