Happy Blade Runner Month

3 Likes

The unique demands for Replicants in L.Ɓ. has required Tyrell and Wallace Corps to develop some of the most diverse models since Off-World mining beganā€¦

2 Likes

A fascinating look at an alternate, stretched so far as to be practically unrelated, Blade Runner:

3 Likes

Wow, that mess sounds like just what youā€™d expect from a Libertarian scare story potboiler about single-payer universal health insurance. The actual Blade Runner movie may have been very different from Dickā€™s original novel, but quality still led to quality.

3 Likes

You are not alone. The retro future styling among other things made it feel like a noir story set in the future so the voice over fits right in if you ask me.

3 Likes

I prefer it if only because leaving it out seems a weird editing decision, at best.

See also:

3 Likes

The band Blue Ɩyster Cult used to start every show by having the Blade Runner theme play for about a minute before the band came onstage to begin their set. I always thought it was a very cool way to start the show and get everybody ready, no matter what their first song was.

2 Likes

ā€œThe dystopian politics and medical horrors are still there, but now thereā€™s gay sex and time travel too.ā€
Nothing beats uncle Bill.

1 Like

not entirely relevant , but catchy !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyjmnaHrNlU

Iā€™veā€¦ seen thingsā€¦ you people wouldnā€™t believe.

4 Likes

I have seen things I am not sure I believe.

9 Likes

I thought there were a few seconds in the ending of the VHS version from the '80s where we could see the vehicle driving through the mountains from above, but I canā€™t currently find a clip matching that description, unless we cheat and just watch the beginning of The Shining.

I guess the ending of BR wouldnā€™t be so cool if we could see they were driving a yellow VW bug.

3 Likes

According to Paul M. Sammonā€™s book The Making of Blade Runner, Ridley Scott took a small crew to Big Bear, two hours drive north-east of Los Angeles, to film interiors and an aerial shot of Deckard and Rachel driving along a mountain road in Deckardā€™s car. It looks as if the overhead shot wasnā€™t used, but perhaps the ā€œHappy Endingā€ clip embedded above is cut off a little bit too early.

The out-takes from The Shining were cropped to remove the yellow Volkswagen.

1 Like

(Iā€™ll just leave this cyberpunk-themed K-Pop video here.)

1 Like

I like the voiceover version better myself. Harrison Ford hated it but thatā€™s why he was an actor not a director back then.

1 Like

The story is that he deliberately read the voice-over badly so that it wouldnā€™t be used. Obviously his cunning plan didnā€™t work.

2 Likes

Tho original studio release (and VHS) had them driving, there is also a longer outtake that it was cut from:

The big issue I have with the happy ending is that having them driving through nice green mountains ruins the entire idea of ā€œEarth is a dying burned out husk, and anyone worth anything is going to the off world colonies.ā€

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.