Happy Inauguration Day! šŸ˜

The 20th of January will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:
ā€œWe will not go quietly into the night!
We will not vanish without a fight!
Weā€™re going to live on!
Weā€™re going to survive!ā€

Today, we celebrate our Inauguration Day!

13 Likes

Iā€™m going to admit, four years ago I thought ā€œOK, this sucks, but how much damage can one president really do in four years? Thatā€™s why we have Congress and the courts.ā€

I was so fscking naive. So, so stupid.

15 Likes

Same. ā€œThe adults in the room will keep him from destroying things.ā€ Wow, that was wrong.

14 Likes

The depressing thing is what this says about our entire system of government. As cheesy as it sounds, Madisonā€™s system relies on people of virtue. And it assumes that sometimes there will be individuals lacking that virtue, but that the checks and balances will reduce their ability to do damage. Turns out you can have the leadership of an entire party lacking virtue of any kindā€“he definitely didnā€™t forsee that. This is Van Burenā€™s theory of professionalization of politicians definitely isnā€™t working, either. Itā€™s really depressing to see how a couple of key players (Trump, McConnell, and one or two others supported by some media outlets and popular opinion among a vocal minority) can bring the entire thing down.

12 Likes

This has truly been a happy day for all. Although it does not make up for the last four years (nor does it return things to the way things were before that), I am left with a sense of hope that I had all but forgotten. Let us remember where we were on this red-letter day, when the firefighters finally arrived to start putting out that garbage fire.

3 Likes

We just had our lefty-redneck fireworks jamboree. Big booms for a happy day!

4 Likes
  • President Trump is furious that top A-list celebrities are performing at Bidenā€™s inaugural, the Washington Post reports.
  • Tom Hanks is hosting an inaugural special on Wednesday featuring Lady Gaga, Jennifer Lopez, Justin Timberlake, and more.
  • Dozens of top singers and celebrities refused to perform at Trumpā€™s inauguration in 2017.

Hollywood et alā€¦ twisting the knife. And they know it. So good.

6 Likes

There was a simple solution to this that could have been implemented decades ago: be nice to people and do things for them.

Given Donaldā€™s upbringing and horrible character throughout most of his life, the solution would have entailed Fred Trump Jr. taking his own immediate family away at the start from Sr. and other influencers in the family. A rotten apple canā€™t be saved.

1 Like
9 Likes

Iā€™ll drink to that! Cheers!

4 Likes

Worst civics crash course ever.

And now hereā€™s a unicorn chaserā€¦

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.