Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

A cool brine. I’m assuming a hot brine might run the risk of killing any present Lactobacillus and preventing fermentation - that was certainly running through my mind as I waited for the brine to cool.

8 Likes

Of course!
Fermentation!

7 Likes

I know you all were probably curious about how the ill-fated St. Paddy’s day dinner turned out: we ended up postponing a day due to life things, which was perfect. I reheated the corned beef last night in the sous vide, whipped up some colcannon with kale and roasted some cabbage wedges (20 mins at 500F, flipping halfway through). Everything turned out great, even the backup torte (which, lets be honest, is better the next day anyways).

Our friends brought Guinness and we had a merry old time, as one should when one’s eating with good company!

Thanks, fellow foodie mutants for talking me off the ledge and reminding me that’s what it’s all about.

PS: as a bonus, I made some corned beef hash for breakfast with the leftover spuds, as one does.

16 Likes

Seen on neighborhood walk today.

13 Likes

Hungry Episode 5 GIF by The Office

9 Likes

OK, @jlw these did not come out as pretty as the recipe you posted here

but they’re tasty.

12 Likes

You have no idea how many eggs they cooked to get the pretty ones shown.

8 Likes

https://www.lamannabakery.com/

8 Likes

Organic Pork Belly!
For the win.

8 Likes

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

7 Likes

I’m not sure what that is aspiring to, but it looks tasty!

6 Likes

Here’s an idea

(I’ve made it at home. Its pretty easy)

10 Likes

Made this for dinner tonight and it turned out tasty!

14 Likes

So cool!
I cut the pork belly into 1/2” and 1/4” slices.
The 1/2” cut went the freezer.

9 Likes

I’ve cheated with the recipe before using a pressure cooker for the simmering part. It’s even good cold as an appetizer.

8 Likes

That sort of thing also tends to work well sous vide. I do my chasu that way.

For the kakuni you could just follow as is, but bag the seared pork and aromatics up with no liquid. Then unbag it and proceed to the glazing.

It won’t save time, neccisarily. But it does save effort, once you put stuff in the meat jacuzzi it just takes no effort or attention till the time is up. You can also chill and then freeze the pre-cooked pork as is in the bag. So you can just pull it and glaze it when ever.

7 Likes

Isn’t any jacuzzi a meat jacuzzi when you get right down to it?

7 Likes

10 Likes

Food safe beef hot tubbing requires more precise temp control than you’re average hotel common area though.

5 Likes

One night in the fridge & microwaved at the office:

16 Likes