I'm making a favorite snack: 'Chinese Tea Eggs'

Originally published at: I'm making a favorite snack: 'Chinese Tea Eggs' | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I love these. My kids like to make them, with eggs from our backyard chickens. It’s like a non-Easter Easter egg. I dunno about the need for an InstaPot for this, though.

4 Likes

Nowhere does it say ‘need’ – I am always looking for ways to use the thing that takes up a lot of counter space.

6 Likes

Sounds like we’re in agreement! Got a favorite mix of spices? I usually do it by smell. Water, dark soy, anise, mirin, Sichuan peppercorns.

5 Likes

Soy, cinnamon, 5 spice powder, barry’s.

8 Likes

Ha. I had to dig on that one. The first Googles turn up a Crossfit-style workout regimen. I’m guessing it’s the Irish Tea?

3 Likes
4 Likes

Nice. We use whatever loose tea is lying around. Perhaps being more intentional with that ingredient could change things a bit.

2 Likes

I’m strictly green tea and garlic cloves, puts hair on your hair. It creates a seaweedy garlic sent that is most delicious.

6 Likes

Sounds a lot better than anise or five spice. I, unfortunately, cannot stand anise. I’ve learned to appreciate small amounts of fennel but that’s it. No root beer, no anise, no licorice. Yuck.
My personal chef (otherwise known as my husband) makes his own 4 spice mix in deference to my ability to taste even the tiniest amount of anise.

Will def have to try. Sounds like a dish ripe for experimentation

3 Likes

If you use a wok often, I do. Use the spent water as a stock to wok your veggies, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

2 Likes

I don’t cook much, but my partner is all about his fancy carbon steel wok. I will be discussing this issue soon :relaxed:

3 Likes

Thanks for your post.

I knew the japanese version, this one seems tô be tasty.

I will try make It tonight.

3 Likes

Just two ingredients? No more tricks?

studying busy philipps GIF by Drunk History

4 Likes

I promise…

4 Likes

I will try this one with bancha, as I have no other tea at home.

when marnie was there japan GIF

5 Likes

Oh, too bad. We make a nice liqueur in our house using anise and lemons. Very yummy.

3 Likes

No instapot here; never joined the club. I steam my eggs to make them easy to peel. Steam over a very hard boil, lid on. Eight minutes is about right. Shock into ice water. Works a treat, though improvements when using not-fresh eggs are noticeable.

Why are the shells left on for tea eggs?

5 Likes

Tell me more.

4 Likes

I’m bookmarking this to remind me later. When I get home I’ll dig up the most recent version we’ve done. It’s essentially vodka, grain alcohol, lemon zest, anise, and tarragon. Light on the anise. Let it marinate for 30 days.

But I’ll post a recipe later.

4 Likes