Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

yours looks mighty fine, too!

p.s. I served the mum and myself in that same style bowl!

11 Likes

Did you end up trying this?
I’m making a version this morning where I did one side sweet (cheese danish style with jam) and the other side savory (chèvre with hot pepper)…I just put it into the oven and think it might either be a great thing, or a huge slop of messiness.
Fingers crossed.

10 Likes

Delicious update!
Here’s before putting the top on, left is sweet side, right is savory:

I was worried about cross pollination, so put a couple skewers underneath the “trunk” to make a border.
Then cut and twisted (in progress), I worried that I had too much filling, it was messy.

But it totally worked!

It didn’t even make it to the table before this is how it looked:

15 Likes

Oh!Tannenbaum!

12 Likes

I did… it was with some garlic/herb cheese spread and Parmesan. My only problem was that I made the top “branches” too thin, and they burnt a little.

Yours looks like it came out perfection!

9 Likes

I checked after 20 minutes and took it out. I was worried it might be a little “claggy” as they’d say on the GBBO, but it was fine.
Only other thing I did differently was brush the whole thing with egg instead of putting grated cheese on top.

12 Likes

Chicken skillet roasted with chickpeas and chorizo, with spinach wilted in the pan at the end. The chicken was glazed with apricot preserves and lemon zest.

12 Likes

whoa! that sounds incredibly fabulous and looks like something I want on my plate!
bon appetit

9 Likes

The recipe can be posted if desired.

9 Likes

DO WANT!
please?

8 Likes

Apricot chicken

INGREDIENTS

Serves 4

¼ cup apricot preserves

2 teaspoons grated lemon zest

Salt and pepper

4 (10- to 12-ounce) bone-in split chicken breasts, trimmed and halved crosswise

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas

6 ounces Spanish-style chorizo sausage, cut into 1/2-inch chunks

1 onion, chopped

1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika

8 ounces (8 cups) baby spinach

Our favorite apricot preserves are Bonne Maman, and Pastene makes our favorite canned chickpeas.

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine preserves, lemon zest, ⅛ teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in bowl; set aside. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.

2. Heat oil in 12-inch ovensafe skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook chicken, skin side down, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate, skin side up. Off heat, combine chickpeas, chorizo, onion, paprika, ⅛ teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in now-empty skillet.

3. Return chicken to skillet, skin side up, and brush apricot mixture over chicken. Bake until chicken registers 160 degrees, about 24 minutes. Transfer chicken to carving board. Return skillet to medium-high heat, add spinach, and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Serve.
    I used thighs because we like them better and less spinach because it was all I could fit in my pan.

12 Likes

Oh boy, thank you.

8 Likes

dynamite! thank you.
will report back!

8 Likes

So much this. Bone-in chicken thighs with the skin on is amazing.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Baby Reaction GIF

6 Likes

ezgif.com-optimize

7 Likes

no mention of the Prarie Oyster?

also: do NOT take acetaminophen for a hangover. that shit will double your effort to kill your liver (along with the alcohol)

9 Likes

Spicy Bloody Mary and a nap. :wink:

6 Likes

Full Irish Breakfast if available. Otherwise loaded omlette from a diner/Dennys/IHOP.

4 Likes