Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Oh, if we’re going that route, then I prescribe a Waffle House, stat!

5 Likes

greasy diner breakfast works for me.
'course if you stay drunk, you don’t get hungover (I’ve been told)

5 Likes

LoLo’s Chicken and Waffles, with gravy (not syrup), grits and greens.
that one will cure whatever ails ya, even a gnarly hanger.

5 Likes

Always a good tip!

3 Likes

Made a chocolate Bundt cake, but did not achieve proper “tunnel of fudge”-ness. Still tasty. I think I gave it five minutes too many.
Tonight I started to make a huge batch of rice so I could make rice pudding tomorrow along with having rice for dinner. Then I had a brain fart, forgot about the rice pudding plans and added garlic-ginger paste, cardamom and black pepper to the rice pot because mom thinks plain white rice is boring. Now I have a lot of spiced rice and thought I’d try crispy rice cakes. Level of difficulty-the rice is basmati and was well rinsed, so is absolutely NOT sticky. I know I could make a batter with the rice in it and may end up doing so. Any ideas?

8 Likes

My mom has been on a “tunnel of fudge” kick for a bit. I had thought the original was a boxed mix, but it apparently started as the most popular recipe out of Pillsbury’s bake off contests.

This is the official recipe. I have no clue what mom’s been using. But she’s found the trick is mostly to slightly under bake them. They keep cooking and firming up as they cool.

So she has been taking them out before fully set. Though it probably didn’t help that her bundt pan is 40 years old, and wasn’t very good to begin with.

I bought her a couple classy ones.

8 Likes

I haven’t tried this exact recipe, but something similar, and it turned out quite nice:

(It doesn’t appear to be paywalled, but let me know if I’m mistaken.)

8 Likes

I say go ahead and try making some rice pudding with it. Maybe just a small amount, at least to try it. The ginger, cardamom, and black pepper would be great. And, they make garlic ice cream, so why not have garlic in rice pudding?

8 Likes

I made koshary with some of the rice since I had all of the ingredients-I thought it was good but mom just doesn’t like it. She just can’t cope with the concept of a dish made with pasta, rice, beans and lentils being anything but too many carbs. I know I need new lentils, these took way too long to cook.
Tonight it will be the family fave of roasted chicken, potatoes roasted in the schmaltz and green beans.

10 Likes

Homemade oyakodon.

13 Likes

This looks great! How did you learn to make this?

6 Likes

It’s a very simple recipe, to be honest I don’t know how close it is to “authentic,” but my family devours it. @Jesse13927 might have a better recipe.

This feeds 5 hungry people, including teenage and early 20s boys. It’s also I credibly easy to prepare. It takes very little time.

Ingredients:
8 chicken thighs, rinsed and pat dry, and sliced very thinly. It helps to have the thighs a bit frozen. Thighs work better than breasts in this—they contribute more flavor.
.75 cups mirin
.25 cups cheap sake (or dry sherry, or dry white wine)
4 cups dashi
.5 cup no-salt soy sauce
.25 cup sugar
2 large onions, very thinly sliced
.5 lb mushrooms, very thinly sliced
8 large eggs, gently beaten
6 sliced scallions
12 cups cooked rice, or a bunch of thin rice noodle

In a large pot or pan, add mirin and sake and bring to a boil.
Add dashi, soy sauce and sugar, and bring to a boil again.
Add the onion in a single layer and place the chicken on top. Cover and bring to a boil. Use a spoon to “jiggle” the chicken and onion to keep them separated.
Skim off the scum and fat, and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
Spin the liquid and slowly drizzle the beaten egg over the chicken and onion. Cook covered until the egg is done. Shake the pan occasionally so the egg and chicken don’t stick to the pan.

Pour the chicken and egg on top of steamed rice or noodles. Top with scallions.

I also sometimes add baby spinach, added close to the end. Sometimes thin seaweed.

I use dry dashi reconstituted at 1 to 1.5 tsp per cup boiling h20.

12 Likes

Its authentic. I have done something similar but scaled down for 2 people. Oyakodon is simple by nature, comfort food/salaryman lunch.

7 Likes

wow. that sounds devine!
TY for the details. I will want to try this, soon.

made blackened snapper filets today for the mum and me. blackening season consists of hot Old Bay, Everglades Heat and habanero lime salt. it is one of our favorite ways to prepare snapper. have the fans on and windows open, when all that dry pepper rub hits the little splash of oil in the iron skillet, that smoke gon choke! served with steamed bok choy, steamed rice and kimchi. powerful spice for such a neutral flavor fish? oh, yes! great way to cook one of the most plentiful fish on these reefs. yellowtail snapper are fun to catch, great eating!

9 Likes

Smoked spatchcocked turkey, real-time:

Instead of more traditional turkey seasoning, I rubbed it with Penzey’s Turkish seasoning. So it’s a Turkish turkey!

Joke Dog GIF

15 Likes

yo dog, I hear you like Turkey in yo turkey…

6 Likes

Done:

14 Likes

Actually, we just use this at my place. It’s like Hamburger Helper for oyakodon.

7 Likes

Nick Offerman Giggles GIF

Erdogan is coming for you…

7 Likes

Smoked ‘im!

7 Likes