Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Presumably you meant 300ºF, not Celcius?

5 Likes

Yes! Oopsies! I will edit that

5 Likes

You made a point that you were roasting at a LOWER temperature, so my guess is you weren’t going for

The Santa Clause Cooking GIF by filmeditor

6 Likes

I kickstarted one of these, going to see if it’s any good, as I can’t justify the space for a larger one.

5 Likes

They do something pretty similar in Italy with botarga (dried grey mullet roe), grated over pasta with a bit of oil, almonds, and a few other things…

5 Likes

Also Odd Stuff. Yellowhammer Brewing Miracle Worker beer.

With Braille on the back:

The Braille, though, is completely flat and unreadable. Im not sure how it could be more useless.

3 Likes

And yet blind people can still read it.

It’s a miracle!

5 Likes

TIL that Helen Keller’s birthplace was due west of Huntsville. Love the image of the moment her Miracle Worker got through to her, via “water” from the pump.

And the ale sounds tasty, right up my alley. Gotta find it!

5 Likes

It could be more useless if it included typos

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s very well done.

Tasting just now: it’s a tasty Belgian Tripel. It’s got a nice “belgiany” flavor profile from the malts and yeasts. Not as heavy malty as some Tripels I’ve had. Aroma is more subdued.

A nice guide here to what aTripel “should” taste like:

https://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/26/26C/belgian-tripel/

7 Likes

Y’all are very sophisticated, and make lovely food and such, but yesterday, I invented a Thing I call ‘Werewolf cornflakes’. Take a medium-sized cereal bowl, tip some biltong in it, then pour a bloody Mary over it and eat it with a spoon.

4 Likes

7 Likes

I do like a Belgian beer that tastes Belgiany.

5 Likes

Sea Palm Fronds anyone?
Lucky for me there was a plethora of Sea Palms washed up on the beach.
I actually ate some fronds after rinsing them in the surf.

7 Likes

There’s certainly plenty of Belch after the fact, too!

4 Likes

Oh bottarga on pasta is absolutely delicious too!

I rarely buy it because it seems to go stale before I manage to use it all. Those roe sacks are giant and the little jars go stale too quickly. Bottarga is delicious grated on scrambled eggs though… my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Maybe I should pick up some more.

5 Likes

Cherry melomel (fruit mead).

My partner first wanted to call this Dragon’s Blood, but it’s a bit watered down kind of like a wine spritzer, so I suggested Kobold’s Blood instead. This was the second mead I’ve made and it took about 19 days from start to finish. It’s semi-dry, probably around 8% ABV.

11 Likes

They missed a real opportunity, style-wise:

4 Likes

My middle name is ‘Keller’ my Mothers maiden name. So this is now in my list.
Thank you and Cheers!

4 Likes

Can you have too many kitchen scissors?
:scissors:
From left to right:
I have 4(!) of these. Why; because they are my first choice and always in the running dishwasher when I need one.
The little Fiskers are for the herb garden. When you cut the fresh herb it holds it until you open it again.
The third one is very sharp and thinner and great for cutting shrimp shells before deveining.
OXO for cutting up chicken add birds to cut through bones.
Not shown are Fiskars office type scissors for paper and wrappers etc. kept in the “junk” drawer.

7 Likes