Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

You bet. It’s not super-common, but it is available commercially in the US.

Some labels:

4 Likes

oh, nice!
thise OXOs look like they would work well splitting open spiny lobster tails.
we don’t boil whole spinies. they get tails wrung from carapace and grilled or broiled with Old Bay and butter. fresh (as in we caught them that very day) gets halved - rostrum to tail - with a strong cleaver and grilled head on. there are lots of tasty fats in there that really flavor the tail meat. but since mum and i can only eat two that way, we will wring the remaining catch (6/person/day) and freeze the tails. those scissors look like they would be up to the task of cutting the thick top side of the tail to grill or broil.

5 Likes

ok y’all, longish post here about this, but i am pretty frikkin amazed at how it turned out. this all seems so very fussy for what amounts to be no more than fancy hors d’voirs, but - dammit! - i may have impressed myself, which is - admittedly - not difficult.
so… i recently came into a rather bountiful bunch of fresh, local blackfin tuna:

this is only a portion, about 450g, to be made into:

of course, i had to punch it up, spice wise, adding to the sriracha in the raw tuna chop, some chili-garlic paste, fresh red chili and ponzu.
the sushi rice squares were seasoned with the rice vinegar and mirin, dusted with rice flour and fried in sesame oil on both sides. these were given a dot of wasabi aioli and also a dot of sriracha:

the resulting rice “crispies” were topped with a ball of the spicy tuna, a dollop of caviar and then thin-sliced jalapenos and scallion threads:

result:

wow!
fussy, yes. worth it, YES!
i just really love raw tuna. made poké with some, will do tataki and some lightly seared tuna with what we have left. some will get vacuum-packed and deep frozen for later, but man! i love being so close to such tremendous fresh seafood. it is a luxury that i wish i could share to everyone, everywhere.

13 Likes

That looks amazing! I love the sushi rice squares. I’ll have to do that with some local albacore.

5 Likes

What are people’s trusted recipe sites? I’ve found it harder and harder to discover good ones with the rise of the heavily SEO’d monetized recipe blogs/life stories and the deterioration of quality of user ratings on sites like allrecipes/epicurious/etc.

The big one for me is the NYT whose ratings are I seem to agree with most of the time which makes finding recipes a bit easier. I occasionally look at Serious Eats, the Kitchn and Food52 too, but I’ve found them more hit or miss.

For Chinese (or at least, Chinese American), the Woks of Life has been infinitely better than any other place I’ve tried.

For sous vide, Chefsteps seems to do a better job than anything else I’ve found. eGullet forums are sometimes helpful too.

BBQ is a mess where I usually dig through forums and even then, I seem to fail far, far more than with any other form of cooking.

For cocktails, Imbibe Magazine’s recipe site is fabulous.

And of course, once in a while I hit YouTube where I’ve found a couple real gems.

6 Likes

I’ve done a couple recipes from Once Upon a Chef, that I thought were ok. I like the small batch bagel recipe from “On Ty’s Plate”, the old “Joy of Cooking” is where I often get pie crust and pie recipes, though that’s more from nostalgia . For baking in general, King Arthur’s (flour) has a respectable site with clear instructions. I’ll often compare two or three recipes from different sites for the same dish, and will occasionally try to wing it with something between two recipes, if they both have ideas I like. I’m continually sad that Allrecipes went bad, it used to be so much more useful.

4 Likes

Anyone have any good recipes to use up our green tomatoes?
I’ve found a couple salsa recipes that seem okay.

I’m not really into frying stuff at home, though, so just stop right there with all your fried green tomato recommendations, unless they’re about the film :wink:

7 Likes

pickled green tomatoes are a nice, easy way to use up some. your favorite pickling spices, vinegar, salt, a little sugar, jalapenos and garlic!

9 Likes

For Japanese soul food, the recipes are fairly easy to follow and usually only need a slight tweaking depending on personal taste.

10 Likes

Respectable is a good term to describe KA. I tried a few recipes, they were fine, but not as good as I’d like.

While I refuse to financially support patent trollies by buying a copy, I have to say that the Modernist Bread cookbook recipes are generally excellent, but sadly you can’t find most of the recipes online (though if anyone wants anything, let me know). I’ve made the ny bagel and ny pizza dough recipes a dozen times to great success. The sourdough recipe was a bit rough for me, but I kind of suck at shaping and knowing when to call proof.

Bookmarked! That’s super helpful. I had no Japanese sources outside Youtube (yay auto translation) and some cookbooks.

Edit: Ok… weird, I wrote t.r.o.l.l.s, but it comes out as trollies?

6 Likes

My mom used to make this relish called Chow Chow with green tomatoes. Completely unrelated to this thread and your post, the subject came up yesterday and I asked her what her recipe was. She couldn’t remember because she hadn’t made it in forever, but she was pretty sure it included green tomatoes, cayenne pepper, bell pepper, onion, salt, vinegar, and various pickling spices. You then cook all that and can it. I am no canning expert, so you’d need to look up the details.

6 Likes

Oh, yeah, I thought that might be a New England thing! My aunt has a good recipe. I can’t remember what region you’re from.

I’m leaning mainly toward some salsa, maybe some relish/Chow Chow, and then I’m tempted to try a spin on preserved lemons…quarter some of the firmer tomatoes, and pack them in a jar with some salt and juice (maybe add lemon or lime?)
Has anyone tried something like that with green tomatoes?

4 Likes

I’m originally from Texas, and my family is many generations southern US, so maybe it’s not a regional thing.

5 Likes

Black bean, sweet potato and cabbage enchiladas. Based on this Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas | Minimalist Baker Recipes though I had Japanese white sweet potatoes, and only (wheat) flour tortillas. He suggested “a sturdy green like kale”, I only had cabbage on hand, but I figure cabbage could take a punch, so it qualified. I added half an onion, and sauteed the cabbage and onion for a bit before I assembled it all. Used real cheese on top. Came out well.

5 Likes

SBS Food is my general go-to when I’m looking for inspiration, and they also stream an enormous collection of food TV (although you might need a VPN outside of Australia).

7 Likes

Pickled diced green tomatoes make a great relish. Add garlic cloves, onion, peppers, etc. very tasty!

ETA: Wow, I should read the thread first. @danimagoo beat me to it by a long shot!

6 Likes

I’ve made a semi-decent green chutney in the past. Goes great on sandwiches. No idea where I found the recipe mind you.

From what I recall it was like a basic salsa recipe but don’t add vinegar or lemon juice.

5 Likes

Well documented too!
Cheers.

3 Likes

The most popular 25 dishes alone are a fascinating peek into their readers’ taste. That Persian love cake looks pretty good…

Are the recipes good or is it just for inspiration?

4 Likes

I haven’t had a dud yet - they all seem to work even though they come from a wide variety of sources.

9 Likes