Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Museum of Food and Drink.

5 Likes

And now something completely different.

6 Likes

35194414936_00987da006_z

7 Likes
7 Likes

Thanks for this! I was exclaiming so much last night that Mr.Linkey came to see, and went out this morning to get a can of Spam before the big storm we’re expecting. :joy:

I think I’ve posted this here before, but the old ads reminded me of this fascinating read:

We’re lucky enough to be picky about fresh foods nowadays if we want to be, but a lot of those canned and processed foods were truly life-changing in a positive way at the time they first became available.

8 Likes

This one had to be my favorite :laughing:

TRY SPEEF! Companion meat to Spork

5 Likes

And cousin to Sputton!

ETA
Not to be confused with Spamb.

3 Likes

I loved that one, too! So funny how many canned meat purveyors there used to be. And truly shocking that the canned hamburgers didn’t stand the test of time, lol.
But the funniest thing was, Mr got all into looking up old Spam recipes, and you’ll never guess what they called diced Spam…

Spubes. Pronounced like cubes. It’s true.

3 Likes

Get your SPAM while you can? (urgh, no pun was intended)

(gift link ) September 15, 2023

The United Food and Commercial Workers Local 663 said in a statement Friday that workers overwhelmingly voted against Hormel’s latest proposal for a new contract. The union, representing more than 1,700 workers in Austin, is calling on the company to return to the negotiating table.

Hormel officials say both sides have agreed to a contract extension through Oct. 8.

Negotiations for a new four-year contract between workers and Hormel started in July. The current contract expired on Sunday.

3 Likes

From my post above’Bizarre and terrible food ads’.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Got a nice piece of veal from a local farm. So here’s Vienna style veal and cream goulash with homemade spätzle (Wiener Kalbsrahmgulasch)

12 Likes

Btw, seeing as I listened to Viennese waltzers while making those, am I the only one who listens to music related to the dish they’re making while cooking?

10 Likes

I’m not sure I’ve ever considered that an option (though, duh!)! What a fun idea!

7 Likes

No, but there must be music to make food. Almost always jazz for me, specifically Real Jazz on the nearest convenient Echo spy device.

I’ll give your method a try… been on a Mexican kick lately, so just need to find the right station.

6 Likes

Nope!
I almost always put on some opera while cooking Italian, and it’s been a while but whenever we made gumbo we’d have a whole New Orleans music day. A lovely tradition, indeed.

11 Likes

YES!
i love to set the mood in the kitchen, including music - even if just for my own headspace!
i’m no Carmy, from The Bear, but when making something i want to be memorable, i get in the headspace of the making - set my own stage, if you will.
i know it sounds pretentious and it probably is - but it makes it fun for me while creating.
when guests are invited, the soundtrack will carry over into the dining, at volume that allows for conversation.
perhaps this was a big influence for me:

and if you don’t like a mix of mariachi and reggaeton, then stay out of my kitchen on taco tuesday!

11 Likes

My daughter and I tried a new recipe we’d been talking about for a while: carmelized sweet onion ice cream.

I carmelized half an onion in butter, then added cream and blended it. Then I heated that mixture for a while to get the onion flavor into the cream. I added two egg yolks, vanilla, and sugar and blended it again. Then into the ice cream maker.

It’s very tasty, but I added too much vanilla. There’s no hint of the onion behind the vanilla flavor.

6 Likes

How dark did you get the onion? I love savory ice creams and bread puddings.

4 Likes

Not particularly dark. Just to golden so as not to toughen them and make it impossible to puree.

Next time I would use a full onion and way less vanilla.

6 Likes