Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

6 Likes

Ha! Listening to https://www.wwoz.org/ New Orleans making Muffuletta sandwiches Saturday.
Truthfully, we listen to WWOZ even when not preparing food.

6 Likes

Popcorn is one of my favorite TV watching snacks.
Here are some ‘interesting’ ideas.
How do you make your favorite popcorn?

4 Likes

Too Much Vanilla is a good name for a new wave band.

4 Likes
4 Likes

hqdefault_phixr

The link works, however. It’s about cheese politics.

5 Likes

I’m afraid I’ve roasted and seasoned It too much.

12 Likes

Is there such a thing??
Kidding.
You reminded me, though, a friend recently introduced me to a new-to-me veggie roasting technique that I love, especially for broccoli and cauliflower. Instead of my standard practice of tossing it in seasoned oil then roasting, just salt and pepper the stuff and dry roast it. Remove from oven and toss in oil (seasoned oil if you’re going that route). I like it way better. Gets a nice crunch.
Haven’t tried it on potatoes or carrots or other stuff with less surface area yet, but she said it’s good.

6 Likes

Spam fried rice. It took entirely too many attempts before I got something that tasted like you’d get in a restaurant.

The smell of spam out of the can reminds me of cat food, but cooked crispy it’s quite nice. Actually, raw pork shoulder in general smells like cat food - I imagine cat food is often made of pork shoulder.

6 Likes

that looks really good! i love fried rice and making it at home. mum is partial to kimchi fried rice, i like mine with added shrimp.
getting a wok made all the difference for my rice frying.

6 Likes

My wok mostly helped me make a lot of it at a time (days of leftovers!), but I was missing key ingredients: shaoxing wine and Chinese soy sauce.

I didn’t fully understand that shaoxing wine is the underlying flavor of restaurant fried rice. Without it, it just tastes… flat. Also I was using Japanese soy sauce which really doesn’t taste the same as Chinese soy sauce.

7 Likes

I just decanted, blended, and adjusted the seasoning of my sriracha today:

It’s much tastier than the shop bought stuff. I was worried that the chillies would be too hot (it would blow your head off when I started) but the two weeks fermentation has made it richer, smoother, kind of smoky and not full of harsh garlic and chilli burn.

This will be Christmas presents for people.
Not this batch mind, my elder daughter wouldn’t let me!
@kentkb as you were talking sriracha recipes

10 Likes

I love this! :fire:

6 Likes

Fish and chips.
There was a bigger pile of chips, but they evaporate as soon as they’re out of the pan.

7 Likes

My secret ingredient for homemade fried rice. The H-Mart store brand are a good texture to crush while stir frying.

Dried shrimp

4 Likes

Home Depot enticed us with 18 months same as cash so we replaced our 33 year old stove with a shiny new Samsung convection/air fryer stove.

We christened it with Bisquick oven fried chicken that my grandma made all the time when we were kids.

12 Likes

Sesame Street Mystery GIF by PBS KIDS

There is just something about homemade fries that make them irresistible!

All you folks posting yummy fried food when I’m meant to be eating healthier!!! :laughing:

Although I did just make this and am waiting for it to cool…

But I had a salad for dinner!

13 Likes

When the grill gives you burnt Roma tomatoes, scrape out what is useable and add grilled chiles.
Smokey.

9 Likes

Pumpkin spiced buns with cream cheese spiderweb frosting.

ETA:
On a related note, any suggestions for what to do with most of a can of pumpkin? The recipe used only half a cup.

8 Likes

Throw Away Chris Farren GIF by Polyvinyl Records

Regarding extra pumpkin of course.

4 Likes