Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

If it’s pure pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling with spices, sugar, etc.) and you have a dog, freeze it in ice cube trays to keep on hand for when Pupper has gastrointestinal upset.

9 Likes

I have received similar sentiments regarding pumpkin pie from Brit, Scottish and Australian friends.

5 Likes

A creamy pasta sauce. With garlic and sage.

7 Likes

You can add German to your little list.

9 Likes

This. Pretty much anything you would use butternut squash for, you can use pumpkin.

6 Likes
6 Likes

I want to eat that right now!
Probably wouldn’t go well with the latte I am making. :wink:

4 Likes

Clam Stew

No milk so stew?

All done in one enameled Dutch oven.

5 6.5 once minced clams, drained.

1 8 once bottle of clam juice. ( if needed)

6 slices of bacon, diced.

2 medium leeks, thinly sliced. ( I used some I had from the freezer.)

1 large russet potato peeled, and diced.

Fry bacon and towards its finishing turn down heat. Add leeks and cook until leeks are opaque.

-Save in bowl.

In the clam juice, bring potato to a slow simmer until a toothpick pierces the largest piece easily.

-Remove from heat.

Add back clams, bacon and leeks to cool.

Best if refrigerated overnight and all the flavors come together.

Sorry two false starts posting this.
¯_(ツ)_/¯

6 Likes

I almost turned the cauliflower into charcoal. I must pay more attention to the roasting time next time I make it. I think I put too much pepper too…

Study Write That Down GIF by Sappy Seals

7 Likes

Opah from Mexico marinated with soy garlic ginger sauce, grilled on a Webber gas grill.
Wow! Laurie removed skin before serving.
Seemed fatty and rich yet a mild not fishy flavor.

5 Likes

Opah is one of my favorite fish. We get it here some of the time from Hawaii but it’s also bycatch from albacore anglers in summer-early fall.

I tend to keep it simple, just grilled with salt & pepper but I make a Japanese green sauce that goes nicely.

The green sauce is ~1/2 lb of edamame, 1/2 cup dashi broth, 1Tbs dark soy sauce, a light handful of bonito flake, and 1 tsp each of seasoned rice vinegar and dark sesame oil. Purée.

If you like spicy stuff, it would be a great sauce to add in some jalapeños, poblanos, or other green chili.

5 Likes

If it’s just pumpkin, not pie filling, red curry soup with coconut milk is divine. Just made some last week.

Will definitely make it again!

7 Likes

In much of the US, during the summer, groceries have a large pallet of watermelons, about this time of year they have the same size box, in the same location, but it’s filled with pumpkins. Always wonder if there are people who don’t know the fruits well, buy the second variety, and are like WTF is wrong with these melons?

4 Likes

I will try the green sauce next time, thanks.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Cross posting

Vegan carbonara was really good.

Also, does anyone have experience with using jackfruit as a meat substitute?
I found a can of it, kind of random up here, and don’t have any plans for it yet.

4 Likes

Tasty food in every pot and kittens in every post!

You have my vote!

4 Likes

I’ve made into a pulled-pork on a bun kind of dish and it was ok. It was a recipe for an after-school class of kids, so it had a rather sweetish sauce, but the kids did eat it up.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Baba ghanoush and Tabbouleh.

9 Likes