Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Laurie asked me to finish up the last of the grapes last night
I didn’t.
So this morning I found this reminder.

7 Likes

Kiddo and I went to our favourite city ramen place - can’t remember what this was called but I’m going with “Goth ramen”. Lots of black sesame and delicious.

12 Likes

Fred Armisen Laughing GIF by IFC

Looks tasty!

8 Likes

I made a 17 lb brisket today, Texas-style. While I was wrapping it, my smoker decided t catch on fire.

An hour later, after putting out the fire, cleaning up the mess, and getting the smoker going again, I finished the brisket.

It wasn’t as tender as I’d like, but the flavor was great.

8 Likes

Parental pride is when they ask “could you show me how to make kimchi if I come around on Sunday?”

12 Likes

Fusilli al limone.

The picture is a little bland, I know. But I can assure you the pasta was very tasteful. It had a nice citric flavor. It is so easy to make.

13 Likes

A white shirt?

Brave choice.

5 Likes

Roast delicata squash, green beans, tomatoes, apple and Gouda sausage, topped with feta and fresh sage, baby corn, briefly broiled. Gratuitously added the baby corn so it’d be a Three Sisters dish.

9 Likes

There’s no telling him. Especially as he comes from a family genetically disposed to more kitchen confidence than knife skills.

6 Likes

Our new fancy stove just paid for itself.

7 Likes

We had a friend who adopted two Korean kids who grew up on an island just off Korea after they lost their parents in a fire.

Almost 30 years ago those friends retired, sold everything and went off the grid but the oldest daughter was in college.

She lived with us for a couple years, it was great, she was good friends with our very young daughter and she worked part time for me in the summer.

She used to come home late at night and start cooking traditional meals for herself. Kimchi was involved a lot and many other foods that had very interesting odors.

Fun thing is our 9 year old loved it, her and her husband live in a hip and trendy city with all kinds of authentic ethnic restaurants and markets, she loves the Korean stuff.

Your kimchi photo reminded me of that young person. We actually reconnected last year and a road trip is in the near future to visit her.

5 Likes

This is an amazing video of the Middle Eastern food in the Detroit area. It immediately brought me back to a lunch in Dearborn drinking Turkish coffee and eating my first shawarma.

4 Likes

anyone else here who would be excited by this? @iknownuurthing , you? (i ask as a fellow buttered toast and marmite aficionado)

i will be making this and will report back.

oh, and as Ms. Cloake says in the subhead, “haters look away

9 Likes

I’ve seen Nigella Lawson’s recipe for this before and it’s always appealed. This is probably the one occasion I’d admit Vegemite might be a trifle too intense.

6 Likes

Never seen this before, but that link was pretty inviting.
Let us know how you get on.
I, for one, am intrigued.

5 Likes

A useful hack-when your bag of salad freezes in the crappy hotel fridge, make wilted greens with the dressing as sauce.

6 Likes

fat-food-memes7

6 Likes

James Delmage from the Sip and Feast YouTube channel makes budget friendly steak pizzaiola.

:cut_of_meat: :tomato: :garlic: :mushroom: :bell_pepper:

6 Likes

That looks amazing. I do pot roast similarly, but that looked amazing. I repeated myself, but I’m leaving it. noting it for later.

4 Likes

I love how he gets his kid to rate the dish when he is done.

6 Likes