Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Oil rather than butter, eh? :thinking: Though it’s a 24 hour rise, so that might be for some other time to try out. I do love the taste of a cold ferment with bread, tho…

5 Likes

I usually do 48’ish, so it’s definitely not a spur of the moment thing. But you don’t need to drag out the stand mixer.

ETA: That’s my bread machine recipe that I tweaked over many tries early in the pandemic, just changing the method. You can also scale up to 500g flour (with matching changes in everything else) with no problem if your pan is big enough.

5 Likes

I rarely use ours anyways… I’m a big fan of making bread by hand, honestly…

7 Likes

I have a bread machine that just takes up space on my counter. I really need to sell it or something. I was never happy with the texture of the bread it makes. I really like bread that’s soft on the inside. Like Wonder Bread soft. That’s hard to do at home, but I can get pretty close making it by hand. With the bread machine, there’s no way. It just always made pretty dense bread. It tasted great, but I want my bread to just be some structure to hold my sandwich together, not to be the bulk of the calories of the sandwich.

5 Likes

Use the dough cycle on the bread machine, then take out and shape and bake as you wish. Best of both worlds!

8 Likes

Apple

8 Likes

Ooh, what’s inside?

3 Likes

10 Likes

So, to bring in @snigs, this follows how I do Apple Pie too.

1. Take the cinnamon amount in the recipe
  2. Double it.
  3. Erase “teaspoons” and replace with “tablespoons”

Was a minor problem once when I had fewer apples than I thought. It wasn’t a disaster, tasted like a red hot pie.

6 Likes

Johnagolds, and crimson Crisps, largely.

6 Likes

I’m with you. Most apple pie recipes result in a pie that gives a faint impression of cinnamon. I want to actually taste the cinnamon.

6 Likes

I like to use cassia cinnamon and Ceylon cinnamon 1:1—always gets good reviews from eaters. Sometimes also a touch of ground cloves or black pepper as an enhancement.

4 Likes

Oooh, hard pass on the cloves. I do not like that flavor.

4 Likes

I sometimes add a dash of ginger.

3 Likes

It’s how I use paprika in any Hungarian dish. Actually, no, I don’t bother with spoons. I just pour from the big spice bags until I like the colour.

6 Likes

Yes, please!

4 Likes

Farmers Market today I was reminded of Foods That Originated in the New World: artichokes, avocados, beans (kidney and lima), black walnuts, blueberries, cacao (cocoa/chocolate), cashews, cassava, chestnuts, corn (maize), crab apples, cranberries, gourds, hickory nuts, onions, papayas, peanuts, pecans, peppers (bell peppers, chili peppers), pineapples, plums, potatoes, pumpkins, raspberries, squash, strawberries, sunflowers, sweet potatoes, tobacco, tomatoes, turkey, vanilla, wild cherries, wild rice. What did I miss? What did I get wrong?

On my list today: Tomatoes

4 Likes

Such an underrated fish, Coly.

4 Likes

I’ve always found that if your bread is too hard, that if you let it cool covered with a tea towel, it’s usually ok. The steam from inside the loaf gets trapped & softens the crust.

4 Likes

Pretty sure chestnuts are worldwide without humans needing to move them, onions too, plums definitely. Raspberries.

Look there’s a good few that aren’t particularly tied to the continents of North and South America.

5 Likes