Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Scalloped potatoes with (or without) ham. Always a winner. If you have a cock pot tiny meatballs in bbq sauce are also popular.

5 Likes

Crock pot! Of course!

5 Likes

If you have an Instant Pot, I like that for traveling hot food because the lid locks.

4 Likes

I don’t, but…

8 Likes

Crab, mushroom and smoked garlic risotto:

(I have made far too much, which means [deep sigh] I will be forced, forced to cook and eat arancini tomorrow… :grin:)

12 Likes

Basically lasagna, but with savoy cabbage instead of pasta.

11 Likes

So cool to see so many BBHMF&D folks give great suggestions! :heart:

4 Likes

Alternatively, go cold, bean salads, pasta salad, potato salad, sesame noodles or other cold dishes, and bring your own cooler with ice packs so you don’t take up fridge space or need to reheat.

6 Likes

8 Likes

cold noodles are a good thing.
the kids’ mom had a recipe for what she called “Singapore noodles” (she did uni in Singapore) that we would prepare to take to a Buddist celebration called Tsog at the temple we belonged to. the platters would be arranged on a long table and may be out for hours while prayers and chanted recitations were offered by the sangha.
it was basically angel hair pasta boiled and then tossed in sesame oil and masala of different curry powders, mixed together with sautéed smoked sausage slices, snow peas, carrots and fresh coriander leaf. (no onion or garlic was allowed in offerings - but you might want them in your dish at home, i do).
the meal was then “consecrated” as an offering to Buddha and passed out to the sangha by the ani’s (nuns from the temple) and we all ate, then celebrated the whole ritual with cheerful prayers!
“Singapore noodles”, easy to make, keeps well in a buffet type setting and people liked it!

12 Likes

No onion or garlic in a Buddhist diet because they '‘inflame the passions’.

Not saying I agree, but that’s the argument.

8 Likes

perhaps.
but not a subject for discussion on this thread, que no?
i like to think that is a matter of respect to the sangha as we chant and breathe in confined spaces together! :wink:

9 Likes

Buddha suffered from fructose intolerance?

4 Likes

The Evolution of Pecan Pie

:pie:

6 Likes

1938 Pecan Pie

4 Likes

I went with a very easy crock pot mac-n-cheese (recipe here, doubled, with a pound of diced Black Forest ham added), that I brought the prepped ingredients in a small cooler and cooked on site. Took about 3 hours in the slow cooker. I thought it was too runny, but it thickened up nicely towards the end, and it was a big hit.

…and also these addictive hot pepper saltines:

1 box saltines (standard 4-sleeve box)
1/4 cup red pepper flakes
1/4 cup dried parsley
1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
1 1/2 cups canola oil

Mix dry seasonings in a bowl with the oil.
Pour mix over crackers in a large sealable container, one sleeve of crackers at a time.
Close the container and turn over / shake / mix every 15 minutes for an hour, or as long as you like.

9 Likes

Chicken schnitzel, fondant potatoes:

8 Likes

Have you ever tried making something again and again and just hopelessly failed?

I’ve lost count at how many apple pies I’ve made. The filling? Great. I consistently get exactly what I want.

The crust is a different story. It’s either mealy or tough or the butter runs all over the place or it cracks or there somehow isn’t enough. I’ve tried recipes that use food processors, pastry cutters, hand smooshing and just rolling out butter coated in flour in long strips. I’ve used frozen butter, grated butter, shortening, duck fat, pork fat, vodka, vinegar, refrigerated flour, ice water, prayer, begging, cursing, etc.

I’m going to make a third attempt this week and possibly last ever. I might need to switch to crumbles. They’re almost as good, right?

7 Likes

Pie crust I’ve never had an issue with. Doughnuts, on the other hand-they’re either greasy or half raw.

4 Likes

Try an oil based crust instead, it’s the one I’ve had the most luck with.

Any pies I’ve done lately have been store bought crusts though :person_shrugging:

5 Likes