Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Wow, “Luckily it was safety glass” is right! Yikes!

7 Likes

Apple Butter Bread

IMG_0938

I had a ton of apple butter from a bunch of leftover apples and a whole pie’s worth of apple pie filling that was super thick and way oversweetened and decided to make apple butter bread. This is the fourth loaf and I think I’ve got the recipe dialed in.

The weird shape is because silicon loaf pans suck and the browning is because convection, but it is dangerously good. The only sugar in the batter itself is from the apple butter, so it’s not super sweet, but there are little pockets of it strewn throughout the bread for the occassional hit of sweet extra-appley goodness. The top is crunchy from a generous amount of turbinado sugar. There’s enough whole wheat in it to give it a bit of a bran muffin vibe, so I can pretend it’s healthy.

7 Likes

You can put the silicon pan inside a similar metal pan to hold the shape while baking.

10 Likes

Corsets for Cake - very Steampunk!

7 Likes

You can dental floss (or use a knife) to. Cut it into two separate loaves. Though it probably has greater surface area for browning this way.

1 Like

I always feel sort or sorry for broken cookies, crackers or chips.
So sorry, that I always eat them first!
:wink:

8 Likes

So… what are people doing for holiday cookies this year?

6 Likes

Eating them.

(But seriously, I’m hopeless as a baker and I warn anyone away from eating any cookies I bake)

8 Likes

the mum will bake her chocolate “roll-away balls” of sugar, butter, cocoa, vanilla and flour, rolled into balls, baked and rolled in confectioner’s sugar. dangerously good!
i will be making carambola chips and candied carambola along with a Carribean banana bread with my bananas, coconut and island dark rum! so much homegrown fruit, can’t let it go to waste!
like @DukeTrout said - i don’t make cookies, but i sure will make them disappear!

10 Likes

First two liters of limoncello from my backyard Meyer lemon harvest. Enough lemons on the tree for at least two more liters.
I’m going for that super classy look with reused Trader Joe’s bottles and blue painters tape “labels,” but looks deceive—this is the good stuff!
:lemon::lemon::lemon::lemon::lemon::lemon::lemon::lemon:

14 Likes

Raspberry pie (yes, someone asked what I could program it to do)

and left overy crust made into cups for banana cream for breakfast, as the pie did not survive the night.

10 Likes

I heard that if the cookie (or chip) is broken, all the calories fall out. :wink:

10 Likes

The color alone (especially the left one) proves you’ve done it right.

7 Likes

I have not heard that, but I accept that logic as being without fault.
:cookie:

8 Likes

¡ay, carambola!
the starfruit just keeps making!
cleaned, slice and seeded ~3kg fruit to make into chips. seen here on the racks before going in to dehydrate:

working on some very special packaging for these to give out over the holidays.

have you been naughty or nice?
naughty only need apply!

11 Likes

My husband is going to teach me how to make divinity. He claims it is very easy.

I admit I am jealous. After the bird devastation, we had 5 lemons left on our one tree. I have the gauze bags now and they are going on right away next year! The birds did for over 15 lemons.
We had honey lemonade with the few left and then I used the peeler to shave off the rinds that were not damaged. Making candied lemon peel. Almost time to dunk them in granulated sugar. Waiting for the kid to return

9 Likes

I’m not sure I’ve heard of those…

5 Likes

I’ve always known them to be a Southern treat, so I’m surprised you’ve never heard of them.

Egg whites and sugar are the main ingredients.

5 Likes

Yeah, I had not… It is kind of weird, isn’t it? :thinking:

5 Likes

I may make some Linzer tarts. I learned how to make them a few months ago, and they’re so much better than the store bought ones, and it’s traditionally a holiday cookie, so…yeah, that may be what I do.

7 Likes