Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Those seeds are rather slippery, too. Each seed has a fair am’t of flesh on, which is smooth, soft, and of a pleasant consistency. I can’t describe the lovely flavor b/c like nothing else I’ve encountered. It’s a little bit sweet.

At least the kids aren’t forced to do it, and perform only the lightest work. They aren’t handed machetes (locally pronounced mosh-ETTES) and screamed at to get to work. /shudder

8 Likes

Try Kabocha. The skin is edible.

7 Likes

oooh! we grow those and kuri squash! cut it, seed it, then bake or stew it. so good!
for butternut, i am in the halve, bake and scoop tribe, but do also peel, seed, chop and soup. it all depends on the flavor of your finished dish. baking will bring out sugars that may affect your soup/stew/mash that you are preparing.
YTMV (your taste may vary)

10 Likes

Typically I simmer it (stock photo).

8 Likes

Wouldn’t a stock photo be during the cooking process, while it’s simmering in stock? :smiling_imp:

9 Likes

What did I cook with my squash? An easy and very satisfying Fall/Winter dish.

Quinoa and Squash

1 c. quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 c. orange juice
¾ c. water
½ teaspoon salt
1 medium-to-large onion, chopped
Peeled and cubed raw butternut squash, about 2-3 cups

Method 1:
Mix all ingredients together and put in a greased covered casserole dish.
Bake covered at about 350 F until done and a little browned—1 to 1 ½ hours.
Watch near the end that it doesn’t scorch. You may need to add a little water near the end if it seems dry.

—or—

Method 2:
Cook the quinoa with the orange juice, water, and salt (I use my rice cooker).
Meanwhile, cook the squash in the microwave until done (just the squash, don’t add any water).
Also meanwhile, fry the onion in some oil until soft and nicely browned.
Gently mix everything together.

One of my favorite dishes. Tasty, and easy to make.

I overcooked it a bit this time, but you get the idea.

5 Likes

I will give you my recipe off the top of my head.

Simmered Kabocha
Ingredients
1 whole kabocha squash
2 cups of bonito dashi (or 2 cups of water + 1-2 tsp of powdered bonito broth)
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar (or sugar substitute)
2 tbsp mirin (sweetened sake)

1. make slices in the skin of the kabocha all over with a vegetable peeler. (Just some areas, not the whole squash)
  2. Stick in microwave for about 2 minutes
    (Skip 1& 2 if you have a large kitchen knife, some arm strength and confidence you won’t kill yourself cutting this hard squash or precut kabocha)
  3. Cut the squash into 2" square pieces (err on side of thicker is better)
  4. Place cut squash in a pot cover, try to keep it as one layer
  5. Pour in bonito broth and heat up
  6. When broth reaches boiling point, reduce to simmer and add sugar, mirin and soy sauce
  7. Simmer until a significant level of broth has evaporated off. (about 1/3rd)

Its served both hot or cold. Cold is less mushy and presents better.

9 Likes

Early family Christmas lunch at my sister’s. I’m taking gougères (a long-standing tradition) and cold beef with horseradish sauce.

13 Likes

That lovely dish is on a lovely dish!

9 Likes

I cut it in half or quarters and roast it that way, with whatever spice/butter/brown sugar I feel like. Same with acorn or such. The shell is like a serving bowl.

5 Likes

GF made Earl Grey cream pie.

11 Likes

Just hand it over and nobody gets hurt, okay?

6 Likes

Seconded! Better flavor too, kinda…nutty?

I’ve seen them called buttercup squash too.

6 Likes

Lauries 193 year old family Blackstrap molasses gingerbread recipe from the German side of her family.
Soft and chewy yet crunchy at the bottom and sides.
One of the best smells as it bakes too!
Tis the season.

14 Likes

Delicata squash salad inspired by @ClutchLinkey over in food fight using leftovers and extras from other meals. Doesn’t belong in the food fight thread because the chef exercised his discretion and added blue cheese. We didn’t have apples and herbs but did have:
Roasted delicata squash, arugula, green pumpkin seeds, blue cheese, and maple vinaigrette. Also had spouse’s minestrone soup, which involves tomatoes, squash, kale, white beans, chicken or veg stock (it varies and I’m not sure which one), vinegar, pasta., and undoubtedly some other things.
I didn’t care for the gluten free pasta he used (because a guest can’t do gluten). I prefer no pasta with a side of bread.

10 Likes

“Fish pancakes” was the ask. You don’t go to battle with the artistic skills you want, you go with artistic skills you have.

13 Likes

Cute!
And it reminds me of something we haven’t done for a few years. We split the batter into halves and added cocoa to one, put each half into a squeezee bottle. Then we practiced “drawing” different pancake designs with the different colors. Bit of a learning curve, but it was fun!

11 Likes

…and I did

7 Likes

The universal delicacy

“….it’s one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.”

3 Likes

I have this Lemon Torchietti Pasta from a variety pack by Trader Joe’s.
Anyone use this before?
Does it have a strong lemon taste?
Recipe suggestions?

3 Likes