Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Trade with Joe for something better?

:wink:

2 Likes

I haven’t had that one. Their lemon tagliatelle was very mildly lemony and paired really, really well with salmon.

5 Likes

I’m not familiar with the brand, but this might be a fun recipe to layer the citrus flavors:

We’ve made it before and it’s really good!

5 Likes

Cherry wisniak; Christmas gifts for work people etc. (12+ 16oz bottles to share).

(Yes, i cheated and didn’t infuse the vodka with actual cherries for 4+ months)

7 Likes

Very nice! I loves me some molasses cookies. Reminds me of my great grandmother’s kitchen. Seemed she cooked them every day.

Can the recipe be shared?

5 Likes

My Bubby used to make a similar concoction-that stuff would put hair on anyone’s chest! Zaidie would make “wine” from the local grapes of Watkins Glen NY, but the end result was always cloudy and rather odd.

6 Likes

The weird Trader Joe’s Lemon Pasta put to use, with squash, kale and salmon with a garlic and oil sauce. The pasta tastes like lemon zest, not too strong sour as feared. Worked well with the veggies and fish without too much seasoning. Relied on parmesean cheese for my sodium.

10 Likes

It must be snowing somewhere because we have snowballs here!
A few missing that where tested, ah, tasted.

11 Likes

Today was chanel my dead Polish grandma.

It was chrusciki day. It’s not the laundry basket we used to do but we got a couple hundred done.

And no sense letting that once a year pot of oil going to waste, we also made a pile of apple fritters.

Tommorow it’s drop of baskets of goodies to friends and family. Leave it on the porch, ring the doorbell and run before anyone tries to hug me.

This is what we use to deep fry, it’s an Oster Super Pot, it’s at least 35 years old, we have two of them left over from our catering days.

They slow cook, deep fry, boil water, make popcorn and everything in between. We have one in the RV. It’s great for scrambling a dozen or more eggs or making a dozen baked potatoes, the thing is a tank. It also has one heck of a non stick finish which is great for camping, it can be cleaned with paper towel.

14 Likes

That’s a great cooking tool! And lovely fried dough to boot.

8 Likes

These look amazing…

10 Likes

Speaking of Mediterranean foods… I was at a greek-type place this past week, and they had an unbelievably delicious whipped feta recipe… I’m curious if anyone has made that and if so, how it turned out at home? From the recipes I looked up, it seems pretty straight forward, but I’d love to know how it turned out IRL…

8 Likes

My wife has always enjoyed all the baking and always mixed everything by hand but this year the arthritis is getting the best of her.

She can’t stir very long or hold on to things, she hates asking me to stir for her.

I said get a stand mixer, she said maybe next year.

I ordered this last night it will be here tomorrow. It’s an Instant Pot brand, it’s got a bigger bowl than most and a 600w motor with all stainless steel attachments. It has a lower profile and smaller overall footprint than the Kitchen Aid.

It’s way cheaper than an entry level Kitchen Aid and has great reviews.

15 Likes

That looks amazing! What a great gift!

11 Likes

cool!
8a9c0p

14 Likes

I have an Instant brand dutch oven, believe it or not, and I’ve been very happy with it. They seem to make decent stuff.

8 Likes

Oh you do.

Get one that can roll pasta, fresh egg pasta + your fresh seafood = heaven.

5 Likes

Roasting chestnuts for our special dish tomorrow. We had to visit 3 stores yesterday to find any, felt very fortunate to find them.
I’ve never roasted them myself. Directions are all over the place! 350F for 10 to 25 minutes, 475F for 25 minutes, always scoring first, but some say to blanche first, some say pressure cook…
I just finished a couple experiments and decided scoring and roasting without any of the other prep seems fine.
Anyone else have any tips?

5 Likes

Develop heat-resistant calluses? I’ve never tried blanching myself, I always just scored and roasted. If there is something that makes the peeling process easier, I don’t know what it is, but would love to know!

5 Likes

I finished roasting and peeling the amount I need for tomorrow. Based on a bunch of recipe research and a test run I did:
Score
Roast at 375F for about 25 minutes, flipping part way through.
Dump into a kitchen cloth, wrap, let sit for a few minutes. At this point, I swung the pouch of nuts around onto the counter a few times and squeezed them with my hot mitts. Yes, I much fondled the hot nuts at this point.
Let cool for about 15 minutes.
Peel.

Worked pretty well. I think we could go with a higher temp next time, some were a bit tricky to peel, but most were fine.
We’re making a wild rice pilaf, where they’ll get to cook some more, so I wasn’t too worried if there were some a bit undercooked.

ETA: we have enough to do another batch. I think I’ll try the blanching thing for them to see how much of a difference there is. I’ll report back. And still interested to hear others’ input.

10 Likes