Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Hmm. Peas. I am not a fan. At all. Most legumes in general are on my “eww” list, so that may be an egg dish I would have to pass on.

9 Likes

I see your century eggs and raise you a virgin boy egg.
Virgin boy egg - Wikipedia.

11 Likes

No Way Bounce GIF

14 Likes

Finally remembered to get a picture-duck legs lacquered with an apricot glaze, sautéed cabbage, scallions and leeks and pancakes with 6 grain mix. Sort of a deconstructed okonomiyaki.

12 Likes

I ate this more than 24 hours ago. I’m still not hungry again.

17 Likes

Yum!
What all was in that bean sprout salad? Looks like some kind of oyster sauce dressing?

10 Likes

Mmm meat and veggie jello

6 Likes

I will rarely pass up an opportunity to post an as-pic :wink:

12 Likes

Probably tonkatsu sauce?

6 Likes

I’m not sure. What would be traditional for a Mongolian take out place in Germany?

11 Likes

Century eggs are where I draw the line. I was at a dinner in Shanghai and had the chance. The smell convinced me. But then again, I’m a hick from Long Island.

And chicken feet are also over the line. so far.

6 Likes

Not my best work. Small batch cinnamon- cardamom buns. Baked it in the glass as it was the only high walled container of that size, but top seemed very done, sides not so much. Baked it ten minutes past recipe in cast iron. Was afraid it would be simultaneously burned, dry and raw, but I seemed to avoid burning and rawness, at least. Next time I would cut them shorter and use my wider cast iron, as that’s a better conductor. Made a sour cream frosting as I had no cream cheese in, I preferred this to the cream cheese frosting.

13 Likes

Glass is not great for baking cakes, buns, anything with dough really, and it took me an embarrassingly long time to learn that lesson.

Other than the odd browning, they look yummy. I love cardamom. It’s an under appreciated flavor where I am.

14 Likes

Well, that’s enough internet for today. WTF?!

10 Likes

I like the glass for storage, as I wonder if plastic is as inert as intended, but this was a good lesson in it’s limitations.

My GF got me into it cardamom, we have it in weekend coffee sometimes. I use it a lot as a ride along or replacement for cinnamon in baking. Though I do love cinnamon.

8 Likes

7 Likes

I’m pretty adventurous with food, had some chicken feet for the first time last year and it was fine. Century egg I think I would like, balut would seem like it’d be more challenging

8 Likes

My friend Adam made a video on Focaccia bread that I somehow missed. I’m going to try this. Looks pretty easy.

17 Likes

I like cardamom, and frequently add it to my homemade chocolate syrup (for use over vanilla ice cream—yum yum yum).

For some reason, I found I didn’t care that much for the combo of cinnamon and cardamom, when I used them together in cookies. I made some simple cookies for a dinner with friends, but I wasn’t sure what flavor people would prefer, so I made two batches, the same except for the spices. One batch I made with cinnamon and cardamom, and the other with just cardamom. Everyone thought the cinnamon-cardamom ones were okay, but not great. All of us liked the only-cardamom ones.

Of course I can’t say if that’s damning to the combo of cinnamon-cardamom in general, or if it just wasn’t the best thing in that particular cookie recipe. Or if I should have made the proportions different. It did kind of remind me of windmill cookies, which I liked a lot when I was a kid, but haven’t had in many years…

Do you have a particular ratio that you tend to use when you combine cardamom with cinnamon?

10 Likes

Oh, that looks great! I might try it later in the week!

8 Likes