Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Wow, thank you.

9 Likes

You’re welcome. I’ve known Adam for about 7 or 8 years, I think. He used to be an executive chef at some swanky restaurants in San Francisco, and then he retired to Kansas City to be a stay at home dad. His kids sometimes make an appearance in his videos.

10 Likes

I’ve had chicken feet a few times and while they’re ok I’ve never been sure what to do with the bones. Earlier this year my son’s partner introduced us to duck webs - better than chicken’s feet and without the bone uncertainty, but not something I’d seek out.

8 Likes

I have seen some videos on Korean foods and there’s apparently a way to cook the chicken feet without the bones, which seems ideal. The particular Korean dish is generally served super spicy and is called Dakbal

8 Likes

chicken feet and century eggs are fine by me. i draw the line at balut!
as for etiquette at dim sum with chicken feet, may i offer some tips from my kid’s mom, as she was from Hong Kong and raised eating these types of yummies: discreetly spit the bones onto the paper place mat under the plate. you do not spit them back onto your plate and you do not remove bones from your mouth with your chopsticks! by “discreetly spit” bones, i mean (as i was told) one shades one’s mouth with your hand and let the bone fall onto the paper. this is why dim sum parlors cover tables with paper that can be cleared away before the next seating. it is common to see Cantonese people do this when visiting busy dim sum joints. i love that whole scene! the tea, the dumplings, the noodles, all of it!
chicken feet are ok. i’ll eat them, even like them, but as you point out, duck feet are waay better!
salted duck eggs are bomb, too!

11 Likes

I love dim sum/yum cha - the Sunday morning cacophony; multi-generation families with kids running around; never saying “no” to something new; the tea. Cheung Fun, turnip cake, dumplings, whitebait, siu aap…

Ok, it’s 9.00am on Sunday morning as I write this. Time to get on the phone and see if I can gather some accomplices…

11 Likes

I’d guess a 2:1, cinnamon: cardamom, and lowering the cinnamon by a third if I think it might be too much spice. I have not run taste tests of what the best ratio is.

ETA: I remember those windmill cookies. They were delicious.

6 Likes

Pioppini mushrooms I grew myself!

Delicious! Almost bacon-y with loads of umami.

These are from a “table top farm” I got from Field & Forest Products, a mushroom-growing supplier.

17 Likes

Mutton schnitzel?

7 Likes

My mom tells me my great grandmother (Russian Jewish) was quite fond of chicken feet, but my mom never seemed happy about it, so she did not relay method of preparation or bone disposal etiquette. I once made chicken stock from them, as they were a very inexpensive cut of chicken at the Asian grocer, and I figured chicken collagen is (generally) chicken collagen. Came out fine.

9 Likes

This is common for immigrants: slough off the part of their past that was due to poverty and oppression. We’re in America now, we don’t have to eat like peasants anymore. That sort of thing.

12 Likes

You reminded me of something my mom said to me, back in the early/mid 1970s. I’d been off to college, growing and eating alfalfa sprouts, making yogurt, baking whole wheat bread—you know, all the “healthy”, “natural” food that people were getting into then. One time when I was visiting my folks I wrote “whole wheat bread” on the shopping list, and my mom said “Oh [zfirphdn], we don’t have to get that. We can afford white bread.”

In her day, you only ate whole-grain bread if you were too poor to buy the refined stuff. (But in the 70s, whole wheat bread, sans preservatives etc., was actually more expensive.)

14 Likes

I remember those days well! The only thing I haven’t carried forward is that once out of the house in the late 1970s, I never bought margarine again. Well, until one of my kids became vegan! But other than butter, I’ve continued the healthy – and as you say, often more expensive – diet.

10 Likes

I had duck feet once. I did not like the texture. The flavor was okay.

5 Likes

Anyone grilling this weekend?

13 Likes

I sort of feel like a Pokémon kid looking at that chart, except I want to eat them all!

9 Likes

What would Jesus grill

14 Likes

Started today:

15 Likes

Need to resize the rest of the images, 10bit color makes for big pics.

13 Likes

The Italian hot dog could also be called the New Jersey hot dog. I have no idea if they actually eat those in Italy, but it is the dog of choice in New Jersey.

9 Likes