Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

i agree with your assessment of the term. unctuous has always carried a “too smooth” or “too slick” connotation in regards to a questionable type person.
it is not how i would describe food at all. not even the fattest roast duck or pork belly! (or the fatty smoked brisket i used to love in texas!)

7 Likes

I’d use it for a lamb chop with a decent ring of fat. that lanolin flavor, thank goodness for mint and vinegar.

8 Likes

Thank you! Tony Bourdain loved these guys, and I had forgotten this song.

6 Likes

My first Kohlrabi.
I ate it uncooked. I am still trying to place the flavor.
Kind of peppery, hints of radish, maybe brussels sprouts with a texture akin to a jicama.

11 Likes

That thing looks very interesting! Are you going to try one cooked? I’ve had kohlrabi cooked ina dish before but never raw or roasted on it’s lonesome.

6 Likes

Raw kohlrabi, peeled and sliced into thin wedges, and lightly salted is a nostalgic snack. North German thing maybe?

10 Likes

Yes, I bought 2. The next one will be cooked in some way,
Looks like it came from outer space.
Star Trek food.
:wink:

6 Likes

It did need salt.
But I wanted to taste it plain.

7 Likes

Now I’m gonna have to try that. And maybe a quick pickle? And roasting once it isn’t roasting outside. It is the time of year we have to avoid the oven. Even good a/c can’t do much when it’s 105F outside

Edit:

My personal chef (spouse who is the one who cooks) does this a lot. So long as it isn’t dangerous, he tastes a new ingredient raw and several times during the cooking. This has made him good at identifying ingredients in dishes we have elsewhere. A useful skill when I ask him to recreate it for us at home. Seeing him dissect a dish is probably odd for other diners

10 Likes

It hit 66 degrees here at the Foggy Cottage.
Summer in San Francisco.
It may get up to the mid-70s next week.
I know. Photo from last night.

11 Likes

Pretty! I’m in central Texas. We avoided the hurricane and it’s demon spawn, tornados. South east Texas is a dangerous mess though. The rain cut the heat today but we’re going to be minimum 90 degrees for a high until the end of August. The heat is awful but does push us to innovate and try new things that don’t require heating the house. We had some delicious cold kimchi noodles last week

8 Likes

I could only eat them raw. My Oma would cook them (boiled maybe? vile anyway to my tastebuds), and she kindly left my portion raw when I visited.

@Kii oooh yes, a quick pickle sounds delish! Not sure about roasting them, but maaayyybbeee once the heat breaks here too.

8 Likes

We have a friend in Houston; she said the whole house shook at about 1 am this morning, and the power stopped. I think she is running her refrigerator off her electric car.
Now isn’t that is something.

7 Likes

Glad you finally got your sausages.

I wonder whether bratwürste are made differently in the US than in their homeland. Because every recipe I see, they are being braised or boiled before frying. Even Kenji Lopez-Alt, grandmaster or the scientific recipe and (former?) proprietor(?) of a German food restaurant does that in his videos.

I’m from Franconia, where the bratwurst is from. I have never, ever seen anyone parboiling bratwurst (or any sort of sausage) before grilling or frying. Some varieties are parboiled by the butcher or manufacturer for preservation reasons, but we mostly buy them raw (and eat them raw sometimes), and they go onto the grill or into the pan straight away.

13 Likes

Not to mention dropping it on your foot.

5 Likes

esgaril

In honor of his hundredth chocolate creation!

#chocolate guy is at it again #you fucking troll

9 Likes

[ citation needed ]

10 Likes

Gladly. The first documentary evidence for Bratwürste under that name is from Arnstadt in Thuringia in 1404. But there is a Bratwurst recipe from 1313/14 from Nuremberg. It just doesn’t use the name. Furthermore, continuously operated bratwurst inns in Nuremberg can be traced back to at least the 14th century.

Either way Thuringia is just north of Franconia, and I have never heard of anyone doubting the origins of the bratwurst in that general region.

9 Likes
5 Likes

Im 19. Jahrhundert erfolgte die Spezialisierung der Garküche auf Bratwürste

3 Likes