Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

They should have tried the priest.

3 Likes

Kiddo #1 moved to Michigan about 18 months ago, and when I visited him at Christmas, part of my education was on the merits of Chicago/Detroit-style pizza.

Best of the bunch is below - what kiddo described as Detroit-style, from a place in Pittsburgh (Iron Born?). It was fantastic.

12 Likes

Tasting History just released a video about Chicago Deep Dish, and it goes into detail of how Alice Mae Redmond impacted the style.

11 Likes
12 Likes

I got my bratwurst fix today!

13 Likes

Happy Well Done GIF by Laff

I wasn’t going to say anything until you’d had a chance to do so, but I had some good brats yesterday. Double-smoked with grilled onions & stoneground mustard on a hoagie roll. :+1:

14 Likes

Max on Tasting History just did a piece on this as well.

@NukeML

Coca Cola Soda GIF by SĂșper AkĂ­

8 Likes

I was boring. I just boiled mine and then browned it in a skillet, and served it with rice. I’d had hot dogs two days in a row so I didn’t feel like eating it on a bun. It was still yummy, though.

9 Likes

I was having a brat craving before the 4th, too, and picked up some cheddar brats. This was the first time I’ve bought dogs/brats since getting an air fryer. It works beautifully, fast cook with perfect crackling casing.

9 Likes

Hmm, I didn’t even think about using the air fryer. I might have to try that.

10 Likes
9 Likes

giphy

13 Likes

Why do celebrity and YouTube chefs think “unctuous” means savory? That is not what that word means. It can mean smug and smarmy, or it can mean oily and greasy. I’m seeing chefs repeatedly using that word when they’re trying to say something is really savory and yummy, and
that’s just not what it means. Where are they getting this?

12 Likes

AI?

9 Likes

No, celebrity chefs on tv started using the word in a positive way to describe certain food about a decade ago. People have been telling them ever since that that’s not what that word means, but they don’t seem to care. So I guess the word is acquiring a new definition.

7 Likes

Too many large eggs, then.

6 Likes

I’ve always interpreted unctuous as rich, looking it up online another way it could be seen is as creamy. Both seems to vibe with the oily definition, i presume they mean it to be pleasantly oily and rich feeling.

9 Likes

The oily definition, at least until about a decade ago, was oily in the way that a used car salesman is oily. It did not carry a positive connotation.

9 Likes

In some contexts it could also be used to mean greasy in a more literal sense, like describing the feel of some soft minerals. I guess maybe they expanded from that, although “like soapstone” doesn’t really seem like something I’d want in my mouth either.

7 Likes

Apparently it originally just meant anointed, in Latin. That’s where the oily part came from. And it had a positive connotation. Then, it acquired the negative, used car salesman meaning. Maybe it’s going back to the original, although I don’t think the chefs are using to mean oily. Language is weird.

7 Likes