Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

As I mentioned above, I love French’s yellow mustard. And I am over 40.

7 Likes

For the record, one can have a Chicago hot dog with all the rest of it and simply avoid adding the neon-green relish.

(I’ve never understood it either…there’s already a real pickle spear on the dog anyway.)

9 Likes

I just looked up the ingredients for French’s mustard and discovered that they’ve been owned by McCormick since 2017. I had no idea. Anywho, it’s surprisingly lacking in artificial coloring and preservatives. It gets the bright yellow color from tumeric and paprika, and the only preservatives are salt and vinegar. It is very vinegar forward, though, so it’s not surprising it doesn’t have any artificial preservatives. It doesn’t need any.

9 Likes

frankly, (see what I did there) i love the green-green relish on a Chicago dog, but it is the sport pepper and the celery seed that really make it, for me.

but, yes, the yellow mustard is a key player in the whole.

8 Likes

And the poppy seed bun!

9 Likes

Fun fact: standing on the lighted grill will improve your tap dancing abilities immediately.

6 Likes

Yeah, English style mustard also uses a load of turmeric for the colour, the difference is they put not homeopathic levels of mustard in it.

7 Likes

This is a good mustard, slightly peppery (from red pepper). Not a hot mustard, not a hot sauce, but robust.

5 Likes

Too hard to catch for me.

5 Likes

Where’s my grimace emoji?!

5 Likes

Mcdonalds Grimace GIF

10 Likes

One of the things that surprised me about New Jersey when I first moved here, and would probably be a surprise to most Americans, is the produce. New Jersey has a lot more farmland than I knew about. And it doesn’t get any better than New Jersey’s white corn and beefsteak tomatoes. And all over New Jersey are these vegetable stands, some small, some large, selling that and other produce. I went to one near me yesterday to get corn. I got there about 5 o’clock. They had 4 ears left. The owner let me take them for free. Two of them were bad, but hey, free corn! I went back today around noon, and it was a madhouse. Dozens of people there getting corn, and going through this stuff almost faster than the kid working there could restock with more bags of corn from whatever farm supplies them. And the best part about this roadside stand is they let you shuck the corn there so you don’t have to do it at home. Grocery stores kind of frown on that. Anyway…if you ever find yourself in New Jersey in the summer…try some local white corn and beefsteak tomatoes. Oh, the blueberries are killer, too. And cranberries in the fall. It turns out that the nickname, the Garden State, isn’t ironic.

18 Likes

Reminds me of living on the islands around Charleston, stop off at one of those little stands on the side of the road, you’ll get some of the best produce the area can offer (the peaches, omg), and you’re helping locals.

9 Likes

The grocery stores in Maryland let you shuck the corn in stores, but, unless I’m cooking it all in the next couple hours, I’m happy to the leave the husk on, as I imagine it tastes fresher, especially if I don’t get to it for a couple days. I find that the freshest corn tends to be the ears that feel heavier.

7 Likes

Well these were all super fresh. I asked the …well I assumed he was the owner but I don’t actually know that…whoever checked me out yesterday when they would get more corn in, and he told me they go to the farm first thing every morning to get corn. I’m sure it wasn’t picked this morning, or even yesterday, but it’s got to be fresher than what’s in the grocery store.

9 Likes

If you microwave the ears in the husks (I use 7 minutes for 2 big ears) then chop off the bottom of the ear-past the bottom row of kernels-and pull the husk off the top of the ear, 99% of the silk comes right off with the husk. Not a great method for a crowd, but for a few people it’s good.

10 Likes

8 Likes

that’s my papi’s method for corn shucking and it does work a treat!
now to the question that may cause a row…
to salt the boil water, or not to salt? should the ears be soaked in saltwater before the shuck?
me - i just toss 'em on the grill, then slather in butter and Tajín and all is good in elote-ville!

8 Likes

I will be called a heretic, but I shuck the corn, wrap it in a wet paper towel, and microwave it for 2 minutes. Then butter and salt to eat.

9 Likes

no shame in the microwave method, dear comrade! i like to think that if it works to deliver a tasty, tasty fresh, hot corn-on-the-cob, then it is worthwhile!
provecho!

9 Likes