Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Now, that would actually make sense! :laughing:

6 Likes

I have some unripe apples that I picked to beat ravenous local squirrels. I’ve heard they can be pickled. Have any of you fine foodies tried that?

9 Likes

I havent pickled them but have finely chopped them and frozen them for storage. They’re good to use for crumbles and for a red-cabbage dish I make.

8 Likes

Sounds great, but I wonder if that’s okay with unripe apples.

4 Likes

Yep, as a condiment. :hotdog:

5 Likes

Hahaha… Now I am having a wonderful memory of my Dad before he left for work every day. :heart: :smiling_face_with_tear:
Thank you.

5 Likes

Then may I suggest:

Also, a southern favorite:

8 Likes

That’s what I used. Same problem: squirrels were raiding the apples before they fully ripened.

8 Likes

Ah ha, thanks!

5 Likes

Gene Kelly wears a very dapper summer grilling outfit.
Grilling on the type of grill I grew up with.

11 Likes

Reminds me of a Durkee ad I just saw. I’ll post.

3 Likes

That’s a shedload of beef, my goodness.

7 Likes

Good eye! I think I count 8 NY strip steaks!

5 Likes

Sometimes in breakdown and by the good stuff.

10 Likes

I’ve been there! Last time I visited, I brought one of the tomato and onion loaves home with me.

5 Likes

Then again, store-bought focaccia is excellent

, and as I was sharing, Laurie just baked cornmeal scones with cheddar cheese inside.

9 Likes

I like their stuff. Tracklements that is. Good range and you can find just the flavour you want. Tend towards tasting of mustard too.

So to be avoided if you like something like French’s. Which always strikes me as odd when people go insane about ketchup on a dog and then put that stuff on which is just like LCD ketchup: sugar, salt, vinegar. In that order.

6 Likes

The aversion to ketchup on a hot dog is a Chicago thing, IIRC. Though it’s worth listening to Chicagoans when it comes to hot dogs - even Anthony Bourdain thought Chicago dogs were better than even his beloved New York’s hot dogs.

8 Likes

It’s not just a Chicago thing, but it’s true that Chicago style hot dogs don’t get ketchup. I also don’t like ketchup on a hot dog. But Chicago dogs also have this unnaturally neon green relish on them that doesn’t make sense to me. That color green doesn’t exist in nature, so I’m not sure how the relish ends up that color.

ETA: Ok, the neon green coloring comes from blue food coloring. So I was right. It’s not natural.
https://www.lthforum.com/2013/08/relish/

10 Likes

and the thing about that distinctly “French’s” style yellow mustard, is that many USians over the age of - i dunno, 40? - grew up on it. and, yeah, it’s all about the vinegar (and then that bright yellow color!)
i like many styles of mustard, even made my own, but there is always a big squeeze bottle of that bright yellow stuff for when the sausage or sandwich calls for it.

8 Likes