Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

The Reserve House Napa Cabbage Traditional and the Everyday Kimchi Original are both made with seafood and I think beef ingredients, so avoid those if you’re vegan/vegetarian, allergic, or just don’t want seafood in your kimchi. All the other products are vegan.

8 Likes

Thank you for catching that! I didn’t realize there was a non-vegan version of the Everyday. That could have been bad for me. I have a beef intolerance

8 Likes

I have a vegan daughter and the rest of the family is vegetarian, so I usually have this sort of detail squirreled away in my databank brain. We all love MIL’s kimchi too – and I can even get it in Indiana at Meijer’s – but we know to check which one we’re buying.

7 Likes

We aren’t vegan, just very veg-focused. But the beef thing is important and I’d never even considered kimchi might have some in it

8 Likes

Stop Motion No GIF by Mouse

Stop Motion Yes GIF by Mouse

13 Likes

We use a wonderful Zojirushi rice cooker and rinse rice just before placing it in the Zojirushi.
Perhaps not enough?

4 Likes

Ugh. I hate articles like this.

Millions of cooks are endangering their health by cooking their rice incorrectly, scientists believe.

“Scientists” is not some singular entity. What scientists? Do most scientists believe this? Half? A couple of researchers who wrote a paper? I don’t actually know because the linked Telegraph story is behind a paywall. But also…it’s the Telegraph. It’s a little sus.

The chemical contaminates rice as a result of industrial toxins and pesticides which can remain in the soil for decades.

Again, a link to a Telegraph article. But … arsenic is found in rice. We’ve known that for years. It’s not always from toxins and pesticides. Arsenic is also a naturally occurring element. Some of it ends up in rice naturally. And, interestingly, it’s higher in brown rice than white rice because more of it is in the bran and germ layer of rice, which is the part removed in white rice. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about, unless brown rice makes up half your daily calorie intake.

9 Likes

Years ago I worked on the remediation of residential sites in Canberra that had been contaminated by arsenic, through sheep dips that had graced the farms before development. It was going well until a whole suburb turned out to have been built on a site rich in naturally occurring arsenic with low bioavailability.

Explaining to residents that “it’s ok, the arsenic in your yard is safe, but the arsenic in those yards needs to be remediated” was not an easy task.

11 Likes

I can imagine.

6 Likes

“But to explain why, I just have to quickly run you through some first-year chemistry.”

8 Likes

From the door of my fridge.
What mustard should I add?

6 Likes

Yes. All of them (are good for one thing or another).

6 Likes

8 Likes

Add to your collection, or add to your food? If it’s your food…what is it?

6 Likes

I know it’s boring, but I like plain ole French’s yellow mustard.

8 Likes

I don’t have an opinion on mustard, so I’ll just say that for a brief panicked moment I thought the second bottle from the left was Old Spice-aftershave-flavored mustard.

13 Likes

Or perhaps it’s Old Style flavoured.

7 Likes

Löwensenf Altbiersenf Füchschen Packshot Dummy

8 Likes

Dunno if you can find them there:

There are others,

10 Likes

You don’t have enough mustards. I don’t either because we keep eating them

9 Likes