Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I am currently eating a brownie made in my waffle maker. I think of you every time I make them! Such a great suggestion!

10 Likes

Ouch!

3 Likes

The original melanzane alla parmigiana you should fry the eggplant slices, but we’ve moved onto grilled ourselves, as it’s just easier on the digestion.

6 Likes

Chicken thighs, potatoes, red capsicums, onions and chorizo cooked in chicken stock, smoked paprika, garlic and saffron; served soupy. The Teen (aka Six Of Six) and I are home alone so there’s a lot of handing down of favourite dishes I’ve made over the years.

Edited to add that you should edit this to add the mineral, faint bitterness of parsley to cut through the warmth and richness of the stock for contrast.

9 Likes

It’s breakfast time here, and I want that. Lucky SIx of Six!

5 Likes

I always feel a little sad when “tiffin” isn’t allowed in the NYT Spelling Bee game :pensive: I still keep trying to use it as an answer, though.

12 Likes

Another food-related one, I’ve written to them about “midden” before but it’s still a no-go.

4 Likes

Also today, “teff” :slightly_frowning_face: Oh, Spelling Bee.

3 Likes

That really is one fancy Henkelmann. Want!

7 Likes

I love beer. But this is wrong.

6 Likes

Fall colors at Farmers market today.

image|500x500

15 Likes

I take it, this is no relation to the traditional African libation, banana beer.

7 Likes

Yes, that I would drink.:beers:

4 Likes

Made a Thai flavor risotto-used some coconut milk thinned down for the liquid, added lemongrass, shallots, Thai basil, straw mushrooms and shrimp. Seasoned with garlic-ginger paste and red curry paste (not much, mom doesn’t do spice much these days). Forgot to quick pickle the cucumber so we just ate it plain.
This week is looking good for interesting foods, except for Wednesday which is Yom Kippur. That dinner will be chicken soup and matzoh balls, chopped liver (pate by any other name…) and challah. Maybe an apple dessert. Making up a menu, even a vague one, really eases the week.

9 Likes

Its actually pretty decent.

That brewery used to be called “Wells”. I didn’t know they changed the name

7 Likes

They sold off the brewing operation and import/export operation in 2017.

Wells and Company is major contract pub company in the UK and some other places. Owned Youngs (the original name for the Banana Bread beer) and a few other brands.

Sold them to Martson’s who are also a resort and pub company, but partially owned by Carlsberg. They rebranded everything as “Eagle Brewery” after the actual facility the beers were made in since like 2004.

IIRC Youngs had been an early Brit craft brewery. Well’s bought them in the 00s. Dumped their entire product line and only kept the brand on the Banana Bread Ale, rebranded it as “Wells and Young” for a bit, then just Wells. Wells had been the brand they slapped on beers produced for their pub chain, particularly a chocolate stout. Basically they cut costs, tanked quality, and their whole distro chain shit the bed about 5-10 years ago. They ducked out of the wholesale market sometime in the 10s and sold in 2017. Opened an entirely new brewery to just produce beer for their pub chain and hotels.

Not companies that are particularly interested in keeping breweries open, innovating, keeping up with the times or selling beer elsewhere. They want a recognizable house brand to sell themselves.

3 Likes

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/miracle-plant-eaten-extinction-2000-years-ago-silphion

3 Likes

They used to do a Triple Chocolate Stout (maybe 10-15 years ago) that was great as a water substitute when making brownies.

6 Likes

Young’s Luxury Triple Chocolate Stout, I always wondered where that went.

5 Likes

Ah yes, Young’s Triple Chocolate. We could get it in the States for a while. Very rich.

5 Likes