Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I’m having fun exploring this map and dreaming of future trips and the meals I’ll enjoy there.
https://www.anthonybourdainworldmap.com/

Not sure why it won’t one box, but it’s an interactive map of everywhere Anthony Bourdain visited with his shows and when you click on a dot it names the restaurant ( or other site, some are places like museums or just culturally relevant) and a few details. I wish I’d known about this before I went to Myrtle beach last winter. I totally would’ve driven to that BBQ joint a bit inland!

11 Likes

We had friends over last night. I’d been saving this to open with friends, and this was a good opportunity. Tasty, like everything they brew.

12 Likes

Looks like a full meal on its own!

7 Likes

It was a lot, to be sure. And the friends really just wanted samples, so I was left to work my way through it. We had it with a chili-glazed pork loin, honeyed acorn squash, and mashed potatoes. A full meal.

10 Likes

Yes, just saw that.
We are going to New Orleans and I see a few places there to check out.

5 Likes

Maybe it’s because he simply went to SO MANY PLACES, but it’s nice that Bourdain didn’t seem to have had the same overkill effect that Fieri did with his “Diners, etc” show.
Fieri went a lobster shack here in mid-coast Maine once, and ever since, all summer the line stretches so long. Literally down the street and partway over a bridge whenever I’ve driven by. It’s crazy. And there’s an equally good place directly across the street with minimal lines.
Having been to a couple of the local places Bourdain stopped at, those places are still reasonable to visit.

7 Likes

Dinner time stuff. We “learned” this recipe when we were students, and it was for “fancy night.”

3 bell peppers, cut up (1 red one if it was super-fancy)
1 sweet onion, chunked up
Sausage, cut up
Rice

Sausage in the wok until cooked. Remove. Cook peppers and onions. Add Italian herbs if you have them. Once the peppers are mostly cooked, add sausage back in. Serve over rice. Soy sauce works well as a topping.

Sautéed spinach is an extra.

For next week’s class on “the Spice Trade” it’s Roasted Curried Potatoes. A can of curry paste, 6 tbs curry, 3/4 cup oil, salt, salt, basil. Roasted for 30 mins.

12 Likes

Simple lunch today: A BBMT (Bacon, Basil, Mozzarella, and Tomato) on English muffin.

Tomato and basil were from the garden.

16 Likes

Food Love GIF by RisuDong

6 Likes

It was! The tomato was so sweet and mild, it was proof positive that tomatoes are fruit!

6 Likes

There is something about the combo of bacon and tomatoes that is just amazing… when I have a BLT, I normally have it on a wheat bread and romaine, but I bet that having it with mozz and basil would be excellent…

6 Likes

Oh my. And it looks beautiful.

6 Likes

I’m completely befuddled on how that would be considered “fancy”, but it’s certainly a healthy, serviceable recipe!

9 Likes

The cost. When we were full-time students supporting ourselves, we did “fancy” when we could.

10 Likes

Oh, man! Simple and elegant.

5 Likes

Quail, orzo with morels and watermelon salad.

11 Likes

I’m not sure whether to post this in the outdoor recreation topic or here, but since the results will be edible, here it is.

Harvesting wild persimmons by water is not so easy, because they sink.

It’s easier to pick them up on land. Once you get a couple gallons, time to puree. They are kind of slimy and gross when perfectly ripe. I push them through a strainer and get probably one quarter by volume of pulp.

10 Likes

It looks very similar to pumpkin puree!

6 Likes

It does. It will be used similarly, breads or pies or whatever, but the taste is different of course

6 Likes

Wow. That’s dedication!

Are they similar to cultivated persimmons?

What do you use the paste for?

I am intrigued. We mostly just eat the ripe fruit. Slimy, but very tasty.

There are some nearby Asian pear trees. One leans out over a lake. I bring my long-handled (fish) net to catch the round fruit before they fall in the water!

8 Likes