Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I’m leaving that up to Ms. Shiv, but I think some kind of bread will be in the offing.

6 Likes

So, yuck. But it was not nearly as bad as the YouTubers led me to believe it would be. I had it on a cracker with whipped cream cheese and chives. It was slimy, and tasted like a chum/bait bucket smells. The overall odor wasn’t good, but it wasn’t all-pervasive. I am having trouble getting the smell off my hands, though.

14 Likes

wow! hats off to you, sir.
next do durian or natto (two things i tried and will never do again. that smell…) but i have never even thought about sturstromming. if i ever wonder what chum tastes like, i can go to the bait freezer and chip a chunk o’ chum off one of the frozen blocks of smelly fish attractant.
no thank you.

10 Likes

I had three separate filets. The best part was that I ate the first two crackers-and-filets really casually. So then two students said “it doesn’t look that bad” and decided to have a go. they were unhappy. The third try had more meat on it, and not much cream cheese. That was a tougher one.

10 Likes

At least natto tastes good. Getting it past my nose to my mouth is the challenge.

6 Likes

Rub your hands (extensively, all sides) on something made of stainless steel.

8 Likes

That describes durian as well!

(Love them both, but as an occasional treat.)

6 Likes

That’s next. So far rubbing alcohol, Windex, and crushed Nag Champa have not worked.

7 Likes

Did you follow the guidelines?

Because of the strong smell, it is often eaten outdoors. The pressurized can is usually opened some distance away from the dining table and is often initially punctured while immersed in a bucket of water, or after tapping and angling it upwards at 45 degrees, to prevent escaping gas from spraying brine.

6 Likes

Yep. Opened it under water. I had also kept it in a refrigerator for 24 hours, which slowed things down quite a bit. So it still sprayed, but underwater and not as much as it might have otherwise. I had the plate on a plastic tablecloth, which we could throw out, as well.

12 Likes

Gameday nosh.

Veggie dig.

Clam dip and chips. Chips and guac.

Leftover peppered pork loin, with cheese.

Baked oysters.

And next week is “chocolate” in class we’ll discuss Aztec chocolate, and Spanish settlement and the spread of chocolate in Europe. So I’m making chocolate bits at 100%, 85%, 70%, 60%, semi-sweet, and white chocolate. Wednesday we’ll have chicken mole street tacos.

19 Likes

I pick up a few when I come across a tree. The unripe ones can be fiercely astringent, but they’ll ripen if you let them sit.

Not as sweet as the tame variety, but I find them charming.

11 Likes

A biochemist with a focus of nutrition once told me that fasting was the first recorded nutritional intervention. I don’t know if it’s true, but I thought it was interesting.

6 Likes

Could be, hard to say.

5 Likes

Are they teddy bears? With bows on their heads? But upside-down in the picture?

8 Likes

Ha! Yes. It was the smallest mold Walmart had.

7 Likes

Phew. It was either that or right-side-up cartoon cannibalistic chipmunks with cheek pouches full of…chocolate.

6 Likes

You can also just pour the chocolate into a baking pan and score it before it sets too hard then snap it or cut it into small bits. Are you tempering the chocolates?

5 Likes

I thought about making squares like that. The bears seemed more fun, and would have a better chance of a consistent amount of chocolate.

No tempering. Just a melting in a double boiler until they can be poured into the molds. I’ve never worked with chocolate like this before, to be honest. So I learned a lesson in an experiment about adding a Tsp of bourbon to the already-melted (and leftover) white chocolate. Cool reaction. And now a challenge to make a good white chocolate bourbon candy!

6 Likes
11 Likes