Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

There was a time when I was buying half a bison for the freezer every year. Mom doesn’t like it enough to make it worth while these days.

7 Likes

My parents had a chest type freezer that would hold
a least 3 human body’s.
It was filled with hundreds of pounds of meat.
We had a butcher shop within a quarter mile that we bought from.
3 teenagers in the 1960’s ate a lot. I was one.

6 Likes

This reads like the blurb for an unusually interesting R.L. Stine novel…

5 Likes

@kentkb Could you maybe clarify the first four lines of that post? From what I can tell, your neighborhood butcher sold you at least 3 human bodies, weighing a few hundred pound, each year?

11 Likes

I’m sure they were ethically sourced.

10 Likes

Oops, I said the secret thing out loud.
To my knowledge all meat was non human.
I remember that in the late 50’s or early 60’s there was a beef shortage and he had horse meat.

8 Likes

What, you don’t want a long pig roast?

5 Likes

Black beans and rice are on the menu this week. Today I got the hankering for some chips to go with it, but didn’t feel like running out to the store, so I tried out this recipe using corn tortillas:

I made a half batch and they came out great! Timing was exactly right.

12 Likes

Well, that’s always a possibility. Eating Raoul:

4 Likes

It’s one of the classic Halloween treats from my childhood. Back before the fentanyl/candy scare, parents got all freaked out about people putting needles or razor blades in apples. (In Maine, apples are a really common Halloween treat, or were back then. You can’t drive 10 miles without passing an apple orchard in much of the state.)
Anyway, to alleviate their fears, we couldn’t eat the apples as is, but we’d chop them all up and make apple crisp. Fond memories.
And there are zero recorded cases afaik of booby-trapped apples, other than the Snow White thing, which I’m pretty sure is made up

9 Likes

I don’t know. I saw a documentary about that last one…

Happy Snow White GIF by Disney

9 Likes

Good people make good food.

8 Likes

Okay. I’ll bite.

4 Likes

@PsiPhiGrrrl’s comment in another thread about spices reminded me to mention that Yun Hai’s chili crisp is back in stock in the U.S. and available to order:

They have so many other good items, but this one in particular has won some awards in the category.

7 Likes

Cuban black bean soup on a wet and cold San Francisco day.

10 Likes

mmm! frijoles negros Cubano is hearty comidas, fer shur! whole wheat tortilla? looks awesome!
similarly, we made chana dal (yellow split peas) that i totally winged it on spicing with toasted black mustard and cumin seeds, ground in the molcajete with dried chilies, yellow onions, carrots, red and green bell peppers, fresh ginger root, turmeric, coriander, asafoetida, garlic and a ham bone. added homegrown greens (tatsoi) 20 minutes before serving over basmati rice with achar pickle and crisp papad udum.
turned out superb! tasted fairly authentic, even if the ham bone was not necessarily true. while it is not cold here, per se, a warm hearty bean dish is what one needs to make the day.

12 Likes

I love rainy day food.

7 Likes

Pizza shell from Del Popolo SF.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Every time my gaze falls upon my knife sharpening stones, I seethe with the fury of 1,000 suns.
Seriously, though. We did a big clean out of our kitchen a few years ago and I was surprised how little we ended up tossing. Mostly chipped dishes. I was willing to part with the immersion blender, but the Mr. wanted to hang onto it, and it lives an a drawer taking up hardly any space, so we kept it.
One thing not addressed in that article, though, which is a big deal when adding anything new for us is: how easy is it to clean?
Ideally everything would be dishwasher safe, but for some things like blenders and food processors, it’s hard to find the high quality versions that can also handle those temps.
But for everything else, it’s a requirement.

9 Likes