Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

How much irritation with a tool is really being irritated at using it badly? I’m happy with my immersion circulator using it mostly for steaks, which I otherwise tend to overcook. It also opens up my schedule, which is great-I can finish the steaks when I want to. I’ve looked at various knife sharpening tools and not bought them because I know that I won’t use them enough to justify them in the drawer.

3 Likes

Damn it’s low 40’s here in San Francisco. Time for winter warming drinks.
What’s your favorites?
This article has some new ones I have never heard of:

8 Likes

partial to a black coffe with a shot of Irish whiskey.
but i don’t usually discuss my breakfast routine…

7 Likes

Dropped off to my office a few minutes ago. A lovely “go on break already” gift.

9 Likes

Cheers man!
Boozey coffee is not just for breakfast anymore.
:wink:

7 Likes

Day drinking!
I am retired so that is quite normal sounding to me now. :cocktail:

7 Likes

Bottled, ready for the holidays. It’s quite good. The hibiscus is strong, the clove just a background hint. I would adjust it to be a bit hotter next time. It’s a bit more juicy than liqueur-ish.

ETA: a sprig of mint. That’s what would finish it. Slightly hotter and a sprig of mint.
ETA 2: clove

11 Likes

I’m a fan of the classic hot toddy, and the classic Irish coffee or the dressed up German Pharisaer version.
But for an extra special winter treat aka “meal substitute”, IMHO, hot buttered rum is the way to go. We made some for a party this fall - mixed the butter spice mixture, chilled it, then used a melon-baller to portion it out. It was a nice presentation, with some fancy ice tongs to put the butter balls into the mugs.

10 Likes

Yum! Looks like the huckleberry mead I bottled recently, but must taste completely different!

Apologies in advance…

7 Likes

Not sure whether to post this here or on the gift thread. This thing showed up in a gift guide I was checking out:

I’ve never even heard of such a thing. We use an air popper right now.

I’m intrigued. The reviews are pretty positive, though I might want to find a different version.

Has anyone tried one of these? What’s the verdict?

9 Likes

the mum is a popcorn hound!
i bought her one of those silicone popper/ bowl thingies and let me be kind:
it sucked!
try it if you like burnt corn.
worst. present. evar.
we tried different microwave ovens, varied settings, oils, butter, nothing… there just was no control.
sorry, but that was our experience.
we do have this one and it is a good thing:

sorry for the amazon link.
you do have to use the proprietary “power cup”, but they last a long while and are inexpensive.
we like corn from this one with some * ahem * doctored butter and Hatch chili salt.

ETA: don’t like airpop. squikky and sticks to my teeth.

7 Likes

Thanks. It seemed almost too good to be true. I do remember getting popcorn on the cob and popping it in the microwave in a paper bag a while back.

Roger that, and ditto. It was just the link in the list.

Blasphemer! :wink:

7 Likes

When you say ‘clive’, do you mean ‘chive’?

5 Likes

I assumed “Clove”

6 Likes

Oh geez, that’s what I meant too!

Maybe it’s contagious?

5 Likes

Homemade pickled bitter melon and daikon. Using rice vinegar gave a sweet/mild sour flavor which offsets the potential harsh nature of the melon.

12 Likes

Very purty too. :eyes:

4 Likes

that sounds wonderful.
we grew white bitter melon last year and i stir fried it with ginger and orher veg plus sugar!
but, pickled with daikon. niiiice!

6 Likes

Fresh from the Farmers market this weekend. Probably the last of the season.

10 Likes

Daikon was leftover from making miso soup and I was already pickling the bitter melon. So it seemed like a good idea.

9 Likes