Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Clove, yes.

6 Likes

Yes, the hibiscus really looks great.

The liqueurs are fairly easy in general. Whatever the recipe, though, my experience has been that it’s better to add the simple syrup right before bottling, rather than let it sit and age with the other ingredients.

9 Likes

Starting to smell a lot like gingerbread!

12 Likes

Recommendations for a mulled spices mix? Most of them I seen online seem to have cinnamon, orange and/or lemon dried peel, cardamon, peppercorns, nutmeg, star anise. But what have people here used and what do they like or dislike in this kind of spice mix
 I was thinking of making a set of mixes for x-mas gifts (raktajino, cocoa, and mulling spice mix

I think I’ll cross-post this in the holiday recipe thread, too.

5 Likes

Sugar overload!
I had 2 of each. Laurie’s secret family gingerbread, and those snowball like Ukraine Tea cakes.
( see what I did? )
Don’t get me wrong I have worked 30 years with many Russians daily at SF Opera and SF Ballet. And the most wonderful Bolshoi Ballet when on tour here. All the dancers, musicians and the crew were sweet wonderful people.
But right now their country has been hijacked by a ‘Make Russia Great Again’ leader.
Sorry it’s the sugar and ice cold Vodka shots talking.
Na Zdorovie!

13 Likes

Growing up, we called them Russian snowball cookies. Now I wonder if that was another attempt at taking over Ukraine, or simply that they’re a common cookie that both countries make. After all, they’re very similar to Mexican wedding cookies too.

6 Likes

It’s easy to forget that blenders basically clean themselves when blending a small amount of soapy water.

I’m sure the same is true for food processors but I have never owned or used one in my life, so I wouldn’t know.

5 Likes

The one that is missing here, from a German GlĂŒhwein perspective, is clives chives cloves.

And usually I would advise not to use dried citrus but rather go for thin slices of fresh fruit floating on top. But of course on a prepared mix meant to be given as a present, the dried version makes sense. Though you could buy/make dried slices. That would definitely look nice.

Either way, I would definitely go for orange over lemon, though. It’s a more rounded taste.

ETA: if you want to go the Scandinavian glögg route, you can also add a mix of unsalted mixed nuts and raisins. Or present them in an extra pouch, so people can add them to taste

12 Likes

I’d love a good raktajino recipe! I have people round for eggnog, pretty sure I got the recipe here, and they are ST nuts so they’d appreciate it. They could bring their own DS9 Raktajino mugs

7 Likes

That’s what I’m going for in this case
 Thanks for the tips! When I make some for myself this season, I’ll go for the fresh!

There seem to be dozens online
 but the one I’ve made before that I enjoy is the House of Karara blend
 Strikes me you could add the liquor of your choice to it when you make it, like you would an Irish coffee, etc.

And here is a couple of boozy ones (including one they got from memory alpha)

And here is a list of drinks from Quarks

http://uglycouchshow.com/quarks-bar-drinks/

I’ve only tried the house of Kasara blend before, and enjoyed it
 You could probably check and see in one of the many star trek cookbooks
 I don’t know if there is an officially sanctioned one or not, but there seems to be several on the old amazon

8 Likes

Artichokes stuffed with mushrooms braised in white wine with crispy pancetta and fried polenta for dinner.
Mine were not so pretty:

10 Likes

As seen at WholeFoods. Gingerbread Person Giant.
Pronouns needed?

6 Likes

That’s
way too many eyes.

(I did finally figure it out, lol.)

6 Likes

a5d63b8acdd97977ba88987c47f5b960--nerd-stuff-jasper

9 Likes

Made bagels this morning, first time ever. They came out great!

Shaping:

Boiling:

Coated/seasoned:

Baked:

All dressed up and ready to eat:

This is the recipe:

We let the dough rest overnight in the fridge.

21 Likes

how fun! they look so good!
the times i have made bagels they were not as pretty, but tasted great.
loves me some hot fresh bagels!
back in the 80s-90s, i was a bicycle messenger in Seattle. one of my Friday routes had me delivering payroll checks to Spot Bagel. they always gave me a fresh hot bagel right outta the oven! their jalapeno bagels were incredible.
gonna have to go hunt down a bagel now

14 Likes

Oh God, I’m getting flashbacks from the time I tried this
 That picture of the bagel swimming in the stainless steel pot on the Ceran cooktop is an almost perfect recreation. I must have made a conversion error from “cups” to real units or something. Anyway, it was an unmitigated disaster. The kitchen, my beautiful kitchen

13 Likes

That’s similar to my go to bagel recipe, this one makes less, and calls for brown sugar in the boiling water. Easy Small- Batch New York-Style Bagels - On Ty's Plate

ETA: very nice looking bagels.

7 Likes

The kid asked for “turtle pancakes” this morning.

No turtles were harmed in the making of these pancakes.

ETA: When she first asked, I considered just giving her a round pancake, and saying that the turtle had tucked its limbs and head into the shell.

16 Likes

Now all I can think about is making this! :raised_hands:t2:

6 Likes