Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Mmmm, with espresso and chocolate, that sounds much better than the Guinness milkshake that I once had (and didn’t like), that I posted about here.

I had been about to ask Where were you when I posted in a different topic about having a Guinness milkshake and asked if anyone else had ever had one?—but I see that you joined the bbs about a month after I posted it!

(Did I really post that other comment just this last February?!? I would have sworn that I had posted that several years ago. 2020 has been a loooong year…)

(Yes, I know a float is not a milkshake, but close anyway :slight_smile: )

8 Likes

https://www.thelocal.it/20191011/how-to-make-tuscan-mushroom-soup-a-delicacy-from-maremma

5 Likes

Had tortellini in brodo for dinner-homemade duck stock, enriched with a cheese rind, some garlic and back pepper. Store bought tortellini and a box of frozen spinach. Mom only had half of her serving, saying she was full. I can never tell if she is being polite, despite reassurances that I don’t mind her telling me she doesn’t like something. Tomorrow it’s getting the thanksgiving prep finished. I’m working on Wednesday, so I want it all done first, so Thursday it’s a matter of roasting a few things and making mashed potatoes.

11 Likes

I’ve had something like this before:

I suspect what I had didn’t have the raw egg but the rest of the ingredients seem right.

Not a bad drink but not what you’d normally think of as a milkshake.

5 Likes

Oh boy, I’ve headed down a rabbit hole of info about mixing beer and milk, re: curdling.

Apparently Guinness is relatively low in acidity, which might explain why Guinness is used? But what about the egg? :thinking: Egg could serve as an emulsifier—but curdling is about acid and protein, while emulsification is about oil and water… Clearly I don’t know enough and need to do more research.

Did you know that an early meaning of the word balderdash was an unappetizing mixture of drinks, such as beer and milk?

11 Likes

Eggs in cocktails are used for texture. Shaken aggressively they provide a little thickness or a viscous texture similar to dairy and a lot of loose, persistent foam in the head of the drink.

That article also compares it to Jamaican Irish Moss drink. Which is a sort of health tonic soft drink made from a carrageenan rich seaweed. Carrageenan being another thickener and emulsifier.

And there’s a long history of eggs in various health drinks, home remedies and hang over cures. So it’s probably in there for that reason given all the talk of health and Vigor. Jamaica has a lot of punches with and without alcohol, that are often pitched as health drinks or remedies. All of them seem to contain sweetened condensed milk or coconut milk, and they often have egg.

In terms of the milk, condensed milk typically doesn’t curdle from acidity. Being already cooked and pretty stable. That’s why you use it in things like key lime pie. And beer generally isn’t acidic enough to curdle milk, although barring certain styles it’s not always the best match flavor wise.

Beer floats using sweeter, darker, low hop beers have been a sorta trend for a few years though. And I’ve had a few dairy containing beer cocktails on menus in the past. Curdling isn’t much of a concern.

9 Likes

My son does this to the entire household when he cooks, though without using anything especially hot.

5 Likes

I figured you might have some knowledge about it. I almost “@”-ed you :slight_smile:

I did not know that about key lime pie! And now you have me craving key lime pie :yum:

8 Likes

Neither did I. My mom has been making a lot of key lime pie recently because the stores here started carrying key lime juice. She ran out of sweetened condensed milk and we looked into whether she could sub cream for the recipe she uses. Apparently not, it’ll curdle and jack up the custard.

6 Likes

Oblig:

8 Likes

Key lime pie was developed by the guy who came up with sweetened condensed milk specifically to use SCM. There isn’t an Ur recipe from the distant past that was adapted to use SCM in these decadent modern times, sorry.
You can make your own SCM if you have enough time…

6 Likes

I mean, considering condensed milk is a highly processed product I don’t think anyone expected that?

4 Likes

Not at all what I said, but OK.

There’s reason’s we’ve stuck with it. Reasons like it’s much less likely to curdle than milk or cream. A whole shit ton of familiar recipes have their origins in exactly that sort of advertising, and in a lot of cases the original product it was promoting not only isn’t used. It doesn’t exist anymore. So that’s pretty immaterial.

Gonna make a key lime flavored dairy based custard, sweetened condensed milk works pretty good.

6 Likes
6 Likes

well acquainted with the wonders of prarie oyster!

7 Likes

Leftover roast lamb turned into a pie with spinach, feta, olives etc with sweet spices (cinnamon on the lamb, some nutmeg in the spinach), stuffed in filo pastry.

Overall it was lovely but not as fragrant as I’d hoped. Very pretty though.

16 Likes

(I immediately thought of Lord Monty and Lord Snot)

3 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t meant to imply that you thought there was, just to point out that there wasn’t one.
Enjoy your lime dessert!

2 Likes

Bachelor chow breakfast. Laurie was leaving to go to the market for Thanksgiving shopping. As she left she said I should make and eat breakfast while she was gone.
Finding small piece of leftover Boar’s Head kielbasa and one egg. I whipped the egg whites and poured over the kielbasa slices. Look, Bachelor chow lives!

8 Likes

My annual sharing of friend and all round wonderful teacher and human being Mary Risley founder and director of Tante Marie’s Cooking School @tantemariesf

“Just Put the F*cking Turkey in the Oven”

via @YouTube

8 Likes