Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Sub for soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce.

Burgers or meatloaf; meatballs; stews; fried rice or pan fried noodles (pad see ew comes to mind).

7 Likes

I just tasted it. Very much like soy sauce in my childhood 1950s.

3 Likes

I like it for the fried noodle dishes for exactly that reason. It’s a little sweeter than the high-end soy sauce I buy in bulk. Then I don’t need to add sugar.

5 Likes

Avoid at all costs, giving it a wide berth.

4 Likes

I do notice it is pretty high in sodium.
Why else?

3 Likes

It’s just vile and masks - nay, smothers - the original taste of whatever you slap it on. Completely.

Disclaimer: yes, I am totally biased because of an accidentally self-self-administered overdose when I was four or so. Every couple of years I let well-meaning people talk me into giving it another try, but to no avail.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I’ve never actually used it in cooking. At least where I’m from it’s used more as a condiment. My dad still uses it on hard boiled eggs: sprinkle top of egg with Maggi, take bite, sprinkle again, take bite, etc.

6 Likes

tried a new dish yesterday, a sheetpan of cooked, dried grains (used couscous, but could be rice, quinoa, farrow…), chickpeas and feta (or halloumi), tossed in olive oil and a tsp ground cumin then placed under the broiler until crisped. the dressing is where it pops! prepared beforehand, mini seedless cucumbers are smashed and split, then tossed in a bowl with fresh citrus juice (lemon, lime or grapefruit), oilve oil and herbs (mint leaves, cilantro) and pour on top of the grains and feta!
I gotta say, this one will be a summer staple, as it is best when chilled.
From NYT Cooking

10 Likes

I’m going to have to try that. Thanks!!

6 Likes

Childhood tastes and flavor memories last a lifetime.
Our ( as a child ) old toaster regularly burnt the toast, and Mom had to scrape all the burnt off the Wonder Bread.
Even now, when I smell that smell, I feel all cozy.

7 Likes

10 Likes

Tingatak, a Filipino dish of ground meat and green beans in a lightly seasoned sauce of coconut milk and tomatoes. This batch used turkey, and was saved by the richness of the coconut milk. A quick, easy dinner that is highly flexible.

7 Likes

Pasta salad tonight, kind of a riff on tuna Nicoise.
Mixed a big (12 oz) can of tuna, cup of chopped green olives, T of chopped capers, and some random onions (one small white and 2 green) with a pound of farfalla and 2 hard boiled eggs (boiled them with the pasta, adding part way through. would add another next time), and 6 oz of this amazing Kalamata olive/arugula goat cheese from the farmers’ market.
For dressing I mixed about 1/4 C lemon juice, 3/4 C olive oil and a teaspoon of anchovy paste, black pepper. (didn’t need it all, so have extra).
It exceeded expectations!
Now I have a goal to buy a different version of that farmer’s goat cheese blend every week and try to craft the perfect pasta salad from it.

13 Likes

A worthy quest!

7 Likes

My Favorite Bread?
…Toast!

5 Likes

Does the idea of eating Tree Shrimp bug you?

5 Likes

BTW Thermapens on Sale!
https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?quantity=1&color=16

3 Likes

Just got one of those and am very happy with it. I do wonder, if they think it’s the pinnacle of thermometers, why discontinue it?
Tonight was sous vide pork chops with garlic and herbs, mashed potatoes and brown gravy, and a green salad.

7 Likes

I assume ThermoWorks has a new design upcoming?
I am thinking of sending my old one in for repairs and leaving it with my Grilling tools in the backyard.

2 Likes