Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Fair enough, but just to see the price hike in that short amount of time is pretty breathtaking.

6 Likes

So sad but I have tried to make my own
Oven baked potato chips.
Though I have not tried to deep fry any the oven method leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyone have a good recipe?
:potato::sweet_potato:

5 Likes

First I love Cocoyo plain yogurt. And I save the 8oz screw top jars to reuse.
So here is the question, what is the best way to remove the labels and the sticky glue still on the bottles?
Many times I can remove labels by filling with water and boiling in a pan with a tbs of baking soda and a drop of dish soap. Perhaps they changed their glue formula because this seems not to work now.
Any help?

4 Likes

New sauce

2 Likes
2 Likes

Might be the same mechanism, but when I’m removing labels from glass bottles for mead making, I put a teaspoon or so of Oxyclean clothes detergent in a basin of warm water and let them soak overnight. It doesn’t work as well for foil labels, because the foil keeps the base from penetrating the paper.

What does work for those labels is to peel them off (which tends to go easier than paper labels) then do the detergent soak. The soak dissolves the remaining glue left behind.

8 Likes

I’m sure I’ve posted this before, but not sure whether it was in this or some other thread. Always worth another listen, IMO :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Oh wow! I love this.

3 Likes

So cool. I will try this, thank you.

4 Likes

So easy:

9 Likes

I used to use Powdered Brewery Wash. Which is kinda like commercial grade oxiclean. It’s stronger, more alkaline and has a couple other cleaning agents in it.

It’s pricier than Oxyclean. But I’ve never met a label it wouldn’t get at with a decent soak. Shit took the paint of old Red Stripe bottles.

So might be what @kentkb is looking for.

5 Likes

Oh snap! Of course. Thank you.

5 Likes

Not heard of this! I will look for it. Thank you.

3 Likes

I bet I could use some of my beetroot crop and make chips out of those. Worth a try!

7 Likes

Also, I bet beet chips should be beautiful!

5 Likes

The ones you can buy in the UK are pretty good.

Seem pretty simple to make too: 5 ways with vegetable crisps | BBC Good Food

4 Likes

BTW, these put the ‘Crack’ in Crackers.
I ate almost all of them in one sitting.
Warning!
Do Not Purchase these at Whole Foods, or order on Amazon!
OMGlob…

9 Likes

Those look great. The seasoning ideas sound tasty. :yum:

5 Likes

I’ve found eucalyptus and/or tea tree oil, dabbed on to cotton balls or even paper towel and then rubbed over the sticker - or remaining residue if the sticker’s been torn or come off - works well to remove it. But eucalyptus and tea tree oil may only be easy to get here in Australia.

8 Likes

Cool! I have Tea Tree oil.
That smells good too.
Thank you.
Also very neat to have a contributor from the wonderful country of Australia!

8 Likes