Harrison Ford has near miss with passenger plane

Headline’s fine. I was just saying the sentence in the article itself (with “nearly missed”) was pushing it. :wink:

1 Like

Fark Headline:

Harrison Ford to air traffic control: “Everything is perfectly alright now. We’re fine. We’re all fine here now, thank you. How are you?”

23 Likes

On the bright side, he just finished the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs.

8 Likes

“Inflammable means flammable? What a country!” – Dr. Nick Riviera.

5 Likes

“Landing at John Wayne Airport ain’t like dusting crops, boy!”

5 Likes

Wait, wasn’t he in an airplane crash just a couple of years ago?

ETA yes, he was.

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2015/03/05/harrison-ford-plane-crash-landing-golf-course-santa-monica/

2 Likes

I’m posting a gif, but to be honest the pic doesn’t matter - I’m hearing the voice and that’s what matters.

4 Likes

Ford’s history with planes has always been more Indiana Jones than Han Solo.

4 Likes

The last couple of years have left me with the strong impression that Ford should really go get himself checked out by a geriatric neurologist.

1 Like

I can kind of see how he might make that mistake. He’s been told to land on 20-L, which is the smaller of the two runways, to the left of the big one. He’s in a high-wing airplane, so he can’t see the runway as hu turns, but as he comes out of his base-to-final turn the left wing lifts and he can now see two long strips of concrete in front of him. He’s lined up with the thinner, left-hand one as he was expecting, with a wider runway to its right, again just what he was expecting. Confirmation bias kicks in, and he doesn’t even notice the much, much wider runway considerably further over to the right.

Part of the problem might have been a misjudgement on his turn, perhaps due to crosswind. When he starts off he’s aiming for the correct runway, but as the turn finishes and the taxiway comes in to view it’s exactly where he expected the runway to be.

It’s interesting to note that the numbers on 20-L are on much paler concrete than the rest of the runway, so they may not actually be very easy to see when you come in from that end.

17 Likes

George was being funny, but I have heard people argue seriously (if unconvincingly) that “near miss” should mean a collision. On the other hand, to say that Ford “nearly missed a passenger plane” can only mean he hit it.

Edit: I see nonentity has already covered this. What you said, nonentity.

1 Like

What? No. It’s an example of a writer mistakenly saying the opposite of what he intended. That can happen in any language.

But you know what the writers say: any paragraph you can walk away from is a good one.

4 Likes

Never fails. You nuke a guy in a fridge once, he’ll go around like he’s invincible or something.

3 Likes

Did he say he ‘had a bad feeling about this’ when landing?

1 Like

Fixed that for you. :innocent:

1 Like

That’s what he gets for flying casual.

The passengers on that plane had a near-Ford experience.

2 Likes

This looks like a job for solar-freaking-roadways! (Wake me up when they can take a jet landing.)

Excellent analysis.
And on top of that, now try it with three tie fighters on your tail.

2 Likes

I just drove through Santa Ana and Irvine today. All due respect, some people there don’t drive very well, much less fly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.