Harrison Ford reportedly crashes his vintage plane, critically injured

Maybe he was trying to make the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs.

12 Likes

That belongs in a museum!

6 Likes

My first reaction was worst of all:

Henry Jones Sr.: I didnā€™t know you could fly a plane!
Indy: Fly, yes. Land, no.

Heā€™d better make an awesome fast recovery or Iā€™m gonna feel like shit for even thinking that.

19 Likes

Back to the planet Hoth for the beginning Star Wars 8

If only

8 Likes

That is indeed a very pretty airplane.
I hope Mr. Ford is okay.

1 Like

Harrison Ford is a very pretty airplane?

Running through my mind has been, ā€œDonā€™t worry; heā€™ll hold together. (You hear me, Harrison? Hold together.)ā€

4 Likes

shit, my english fu failed me. Iā€™m erasing my shame.

Um, yeahā€¦ That was the quote that I linked on the video. :smile:

You might be in for a rough surprise: that was more than 30 years agoā€¦
Time is a cruel mistress.

2 Likes

Wait wait waitā€¦ the 80ā€™s are over?

3 Likes

Ah, I thought you were linking to the ā€œYou know how to fly, donā€™t you?ā€ / ā€œHow hard could it be?ā€ scene from Temple of Doom.

1 Like

Itā€™s not the years, itā€™s the mileage.

6 Likes

Landing a plane where one normally doesnā€™t land planes is no easy task. A lot has to happen in a very short period of time and keeping your cool is Job #1. From the air at a low altitude itā€™s not like using Google Earth, especially when you got shit going down with the plane that isnā€™t working as it should. I was taught early on ā€œWhat does it mean if thereā€™s a strip of darker grass running through a big field?ā€ A: itā€™s a tiny tiny stream, ditch, or fence that your plane isnā€™t going to like.

Hope Mr Ford is ok.

Edit: Checked out Google Earth. Options VERY limited there. Almost makes things easier as thereā€™s not a lot of time wasted making decisions. I am sure every pilot who flies out of there knows the golf course is the best emergency landing spot for those unable to return to the airport. Even so, yipes.

5 Likes

Fordā€™s son Ben tweeted this:

Chef Ben Ford @ChefBenFord Ā· 5h 5 hours ago

At the hospital. Dad is ok. Battered, but ok! He is every bit the man you would think he is. He is an incredibly strong man.
0 replies 9,491 retweets 9,558 favorites

8 Likes

I donā€™t know, but from your data points weā€™ll have to wait another 21 years to find out.

Yeah by the look of it he did well to find an open area. Maybe he should be flying turboprops in Taiwan ;). Also landing on a golf course is a great way to ensure immediate medical care.

4 Likes

Emergency landing and IDā€™ing emergency landing areas near your takeoff and landing area is part of basic flight training. A golf course seems like a pretty good place to find level non-bouncy ground for an emergency landing and hopefully also a takeoff run after you get a mechanic to fix the issues, obviously not that easy with Fordā€™s plane.
A small plane like this is FUDā€™ed by city councils as being a terrible crash risk to the housing developments which were built around small airstrips knowing that they were building around the airstrip yet hoping to buy cheap kill the airfield and flip high. Actually these aircraft on landing and takeoff are moving at highway speeds in an object lighter than an automobile, a single engine plane and even a smaller twin is hardly a 9-11 mega-weapon.
It is really sad that airstrips are being strangled to death for a short term real estate money grab, there are a really cool community resource which is actually within the grasp of even lower middle class people who are willing to sock away the time and money for training. Certianly more useful to the community than the golf course except for emergency landings.

2 Likes

I know itā€™s difficult to tell, what, with the clothing in the stores looking suspiciously like the stuff you could find in the stores c. 1985. Skinny jeans, tunics, leggings, plaid, asymetric collared shirts, bias cut skirtsā€¦

Back OT, do hope Mr. Ford pulls through fine.

1 Like

This is the Indy equivalent of a hip hop artist getting arrested for murder. Damn, Ford, you are awesomely badass.

3 Likes