Harrison Ford reportedly crashes his vintage plane, critically injured

I guess this means that long-awaited sequel to Six Days, Seven Nights has been put on hold again.

Hereā€™s an interesting review about flying the RT-22. Started out as a sport/acrobatic plane that was retasked as a trainer. The government contract added a lot of weight and it became quite tricky to fly ā€“ a ā€œCadet killer.ā€ Recall that a stall is not, by itself, a big deal in most situations, but how an airplane reacts to a stall if you keep pressure on the stick instead of letting the plane naturally recover, it can be. The RT-22 will put you right into a spin if you arenā€™t careful.

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepPT-22.html

A long EZ as I recallā€¦

ā€œHe is every bit the man you would think he isā€

I donā€™t think any real human could be every bit the man most folks (myself included) think Harrison Ford is.

3 Likes

Yes, I didnā€™t realize how close he was to the airport. Yeah in glider training you do a simulated rope break shortly after takeoff. Even though you know itā€™s coming up soon in the training, itā€™s still a surprise. I didnā€™t realize it was the ā€œairportā€™s golf courseā€ AFA obvious alternative landing spots. Basically the only option around. Where I went through training was all farms. Every tow the ones closest to takeoff were discussed.

1 Like

#Bring back the Eighties, Man!

1 Like

::looks at tiny, wrecked, old plane:: ā€œHe came in that thing? Heā€™s braver than I thought!ā€

5 Likes

I hope he at least yelled ā€œForeā€.

1 Like

Last I heard, he had over a dozen broken bones, including two skull fractures. He was described as ā€œbattered but okayā€- Which I would interpret to mean heā€™s pretty badly hurt, but not in any way theyā€™d consider life threatening at the moment.

I live in Venice, which is in the flight path of Santa Monica airport. I was working in my back yard, as I often do (the weather was much nicer than in most of the rest of the U.S.), ignoring the sounds of small planes and business jets taking off from SM airport in a steady stream. One particularly loud single-engine planeā€™s noise vaguely caught my attention (ā€œMy, that oneā€™s loud!ā€) when I heard something Iā€™ve only ever heard in movies: the engine stuttered once, then stopped dead. It was really quick, no prolonged sputtering. I got up to see if the highly unlikely had actually happened and saw that it had: the plane quickly banked into a 180 degree turn and headed back to the airport on a glide slope. I listened for a big bang, since I could see it was fairly low, but when I didnā€™t hear anything, I went back to work. Of course the net then quickly lit up with the news of the crash and who had been flying it. So, FWIW, it didnā€™t go down immediately on takeoff. It made it past the golf course, died, and turned back. (One look at a map, BTW, and you can see that the Penmar Golf Course has one reason for existence: to catch stray aircraft. I strongly suspect that there are course rules for playing around sudden obstacles with wings.)

11 Likes

My dad flew tugs at a gliding club in my state until about ten years ago. They had a procedure that if the rope broke above 50 feet AGL, you did a 180 and landed down wind. Below 50 you landed straight ahead. The paddock ahead wasnā€™t fantastic. It had tree stumps and such like in it. Instructors would always drill the students in this, releasing the tow at 55 feet or so. But one day an instructor pulled too early, or maybe an altimeter wasnā€™t calibrated correctly. The student saw 48 feet and landed dead ahead.

Hmm, vintage plane?

What? Itā€™s from a long time agoā€¦

1 Like

ā€¦Penmar Golf Course has one reason for existence: to catch stray aircraft.

maybe the clubhouse wall has a few photos of previous unscheduled landingsā€¦?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.