Harry Styles rocks a dress for Vogue, gets attacked by dopes

That is now the background on my portrait monitor. Thanks.

Well, at least if you believe the rumors.

There’s some [rather technical, somewhat racy] photos that I’ve really been about THIS close to actually doing, but even if I had gotten around to them before today, I wouldn’t have shared or linked to here, because there’s a time and a place. That said, “real men” go where them climate suits their clothes. Okay, maybe this paragraph should have followed Duchovny in a skirt instead of the Milton Burle reference. No, it definitely should have, no maybe about it.

That said, I’ve probably used a shovel in hard clay more recently than you have, yet I definitely look at least as good as you do in a lace bodystocking. (And I have had at least one more screwdriver than you have, and am thus quite likely to delete this before ‘morning’.)

6 Likes

I admit I don’t think it would be much of a loss. However, I’d like those two to have access to a robust safety net like everybody else should have and which those two are fighting against.

2 Likes

I’ve vaguely read about this “herbivore men” business before, and it’s interesting. I don’t suppose Japanese culture is fundamentally different in the biases people have, but it does sound like they’re a lot more blunt about it. There are plenty of American men who mainstream society assumes will never find love, but all anyone says to their faces is “someone for everyone” type platitudes.

I don’t know that it makes any difference in the long run, though. Either way the lesson is, when the gender-roles game is set up for you to fail, you have to choose not to play.

Inara: So explain to me again why Zoe wasn’t in the dress.
Mal: Tactics, woman. We needed her in the back. ‘Sides, them soft cotton dresses feel kinda nice. Just the whole air flow.
Inara: And you would know that because?
Mal: You can’t open up the book of my life and jump in the middle. Because woman, I am a mystery.
Inara: Let’s keep it that way. I withdraw the question.

11 Likes

That sent me on a little dig, because I knew the lyricist (Victor Willis, also lead singer) was not gay, but at the same time, he apparently wrote “YMCA” in Vancouver, and Vancouver’s YMCA is about 2 blocks from what has been rather well known as the “gay district” for as long as I remember, so…

4 Likes

A man who fears being seen as feminine is a man who fears being treated the way he treats women.

Faria D.

14 Likes

I can’t speak for all women, but when I see a guy in a dress, it’s a huge tip off that he’s not a right-wing, bigoted and/or religious zealot, so I’m more likely to be interested in his company.
Then there’s the confidence factor. That’s probably a draw for some.

14 Likes

I guess that there is no space for self-reflection or irony in the alt-right headspace.

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s kind of their deal… That and being hateful dipshits. For them humor is always punching down at the expense of others. A pretty sad existence if you ask me.

9 Likes

Fuckers.

7 Likes

I propose we stop responding to people like Ben Shapiro. (Maybe Candace Owens, too, I’m not familiar enough with her to say). I lost all interest in even getting upset at anything Shapiro says when he claimed that, from a music theory standpoint, rap isn’t music. Which he knows because his father taught music theory. How he graduated from Harvard Law with such flawed reasoning skills baffles me. Same for Kayleigh McEnany.

7 Likes

Yep. Complete and utter assholes, the lot of them. They actively try and make the world a worse place and take that as a point of pride.

10 Likes

She’s the President’s press secretary, not some random person. If we ignore what’s happening IN the white house and how they’re attempting to frame this, then we let them basically stage a coup with no one watching. That doesn’t seem like an effective strategy to end this night mare to me.

11 Likes

Turns out that ignoring the fascists doesn’t make them go away.

13 Likes

We can’t, though. Did you see the BS the canvassers tried to pull in Michigan? They only backed down due to public outcry.
I know Shapiro isn’t an elected official (yet, gawd help us), but we can’t pretend these folks don’t exist.
It doesn’t need to take up all our energies or anything, but we can’t ignore them, and shouldn’t pretend that is a safe or sane option.

11 Likes

Would Ben Shapiro’s sartorial opinion matter if he wasn’t a conservative blowhard? Is it strong enough to change your opinion of him as a person?

If he’s dangerous politically, reluctantly keep an eye on his politics. But you needn’t pay attention to his fashion sense.

His sartorial opinions are part of his political opinions on gender.

16 Likes

Right-wing personality says predictably right wing-thing about Harry Styles.

1 Like

But his politics are part of everything he puts out there. It’s insidious.
To quasi-quote Dan Savage, as soon as they stop politicizing our bodies and love and such, I will feel safe in stopping paying attention to what he (and his ilk) are doing and saying.

11 Likes

And then there’s the music video:

And that was at least 40 years ago (and, what, 10-11 yrs after aforementioned Man Who Sold the World?)

7 Likes