Have you ever wanted to spend $1000 to eat a wagyu steak coated in 24-karat gold? Now you can!

Right now the ban on foreign travelers still stands. I am so jealous. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What could a Sprite cost? Ten dollars?

tendollars

10 Likes

a pure gold is non-toxic and therefore arguably safe.

A pure gold what?

James Bond: “Do you expect me to talk?”

Auric Goldfinger: “No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to DINE!”

goldfinger

14 Likes

A tomahawk steak (at least in my experience) is about 4 inches thick of ribeye still attached to the ribs, which is what gives it the tomahawk shape its named for. Since when does a few ounces of ribeye off the bone count as a tomahawk?

5 Likes

Hopefully they can get the money back for the meal by selling an NFT of their smug Instagram post.

11 Likes

Is that douchebag, Salt Bae, still a thing? I thought that hype died out years ago.

2 Likes

Gold is exceptionally soft and pliable, even at room temperature. It doesn’t hold it’s shape very well.

So for jewelry, it’s mixed with other metals, which makes it strong enough to hold it’s shape.

This is why they talk about 16K, 18K, and 20K gold; it lets you know how much gold there is in the alloy. (It is also why Rose Gold (which is gold and copper) and White Gold (Gold mixed with nickel and zinc) are a thing.)

24 K gold is pure gold; 16K gold means 16 of every 24K of the material is gold. (One K or Karat is .2 grams, or 200 mg. It is a unit of mass. Why they used 24K to indicate pure, I have no idea; and my google-fu is failing me… :slight_smile: )

When they say “a pure gold”, they mean “this type of gold which is not alloyed with other materials”.

It’s a bit of an archaic way of saying it, but it is still used.

Edited to add: here’s a Wiki on how to make different colors of gold! :slight_smile:
Colored gold - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Wouldn’t a gold steak weigh hundreds of pounds and taste terrible?

7 Likes

I feel like you completely missed my point.

I was joking about the unintentional determiner “a” changing the flow of the sentence and implying there was now a missing word.

So… less than $100 worth of steak combined with less than $10 worth of gold makes for a pretty hefty mark-up, apparently.

5 Likes

We had a few little chocolate milagros on ours that were partially covered with leaf gold - a nice little touch by the lady that made our cake.

A steak that’s entirely covered… seems a little gauche.

Just goes to prove that you can’t buy class.

1 Like

This amazing ice cream cone coated with gold leaf cost me about ¥1000 the last time I was in Kyoto. I bet it was tastier than that $1000 steak, wagyu or not.

2 Likes

I assume the Sprite was infused with finely ground diamonds to provide the classiest possible experience for the discerning small intestine.

4 Likes

4 Likes

NOW MARKED DOWN BY 80%

ONLY $200 AT THE BOING BOING SHOP

4 Likes

Why stop at a steak?

1 Like

I got you:

In 309 CE, Roman Emperor Constantine I began to mint a new gold coin solidus that was ​1⁄72 of a libra (Roman pound) of gold equal to a mass of 24 siliquae , where each siliqua (or carat) was ​1⁄1728 of a libra. This is believed to be the origin of the value of the karat.

It should be noted however that the karat as a unit of mass (the 200mg you’re mentioning) has very little to do with the karat as a measure of fineness (which indicates a proportion of metals).

4 Likes

You’re thinking of a carat (with a c). Like for diamonds. It’s pronounced the same as karat (1/24 purity), but the two have nothing to do with each other aside from being jewelry terms.

1 Like

I have never wanted to spend $1000. Period.

1 Like