Have you tried an ortholinear keyboard?

Originally published at: Have you tried an ortholinear keyboard? | Boing Boing

1 Like

This site really needs a way to filter the keyboards IMHO.

2 Likes

that looks anti-ergonomic to me. I definitely prefer my split/wave/ergonomic keyboard to any laptop keyboard. What you showed there gives me wrist pain just looking at it.

4 Likes

Yes.

Commodore PET__001

And boy did it suck.

12 Likes

I have not, but my next keyboard might be an ergodox/split ortholinear of some variety. I’ve been eyeing them for quite a while.

4 Likes

Switch and click had an interesting video on switching to an split ortholinear keyboard

My take-away: overall not worth the effort to switch over, but whatever rocks your boat.

1 Like

At some point, someone will invent the ultimate keyboard nerd keyboard, and it will be an ortholinear split ergonomic Dvorak-layout keyboard with mumble mumble mechanical keyswitches and a number pad and a rotary potentiometer for a spacebar and … and …

… And then all the keyboard nerds will weep bitter tears, because there will be no more new worlds left to conquer.

7 Likes

Futurama Buy GIF

6 Likes

I had a typematrix at my last office after I injured my wrist (an ergonomist recommended it). I really liked it. Putting the enter and backspace in the middle was actually really convenient when doing a lot of coding. Mine had a dvorak skin too.

1 Like

Umm, other than expense, what would the actual advantage of this layout be…?

1 Like

What are those blue/purple/yellow knob looking things?

3 Likes

Looks really nice, but I gotta have a number pad.

For those interested in keyboard layout, you might like my redesigned editing shortcuts that puts just about everything needed on the left side so your right hand doesn’t need to leave the mouse (for instance, “i” and “o” are not “in” and “out” - “a” and “f” are). The complete philosophy here: Dave’s Editing Shortcuts Tutorial – Dave Blair Camera & Editing.

2 Likes
4 Likes

If you go ortholinear, you might as well go full ergo mech, since that’s not much different in price. I’m currently rocking a Model 100. It annoys my wife, so I actually have two keyboards on my desk now, but I’m pretty happy with it, and it feels different enough from a regular keyboard that I don’t usually have issues with switching between it and a regular keyboard. Standard key mapping even lets you have what’s effectively a numpad on the right side.

3 Likes

I love my Ergodox Ez, it saved my wrists. I was in a lot of pain before, even with a split / wave / ergonomic keyboard.

Also it’s awesome it is to be able to reprogram any key on your keyboard.

The only problem with the Ergodox Ez is buying custom keycaps kits for it are expensive. For that reason I would recommend the Moonlander over the Ergodox.

1 Like

My DasKeyboard hasn’t shown any signs of letting up after 11 years, so I’m not quite ready to switch yet.

Still, I think about what I’ll get if and when it does, so I poked around a bit about the subject and ran into this tool:

2 Likes

I just use a standard cheapo Lenovo wired keyboard. It has nice clackety keys and it’s the same model I used for over 5 years in my last job so my muscle memory is well tuned in.

Does anyone remember the name of that 5-key pad for typing with only one hand? It was around in the 1990s. I can’t find it on Google.

You had to learn the letter combos, of course. A modern programmable version would be interesting.

1 Like

Is this the thing?

I don’t think that’s the one but it’s very similar. I specifically remember the device having only five keys, one for each finger. But I may be misremembering.

That’s the first one that came up when I searched, and I kind of remember the name. I was looking into those at one point in the late 90’s. I think I saw it (or something like it) on a piece about very early wearable computers. (Probably referencing Steve Mann)
There’s some history at the Chorded Keyboard wiki page:

1 Like