HBO to air "bombshell" Scientology documentary

wait…i think you just described every single major religion except Buddhism which is self critical and maybe shamanism which couldn’t give a fuck.

seriously, past a reasonable team I cannot see how more lawyers better and not worse? i would use a too many cooks analogy, but i’m still traumatized from that video.

oh, well i guess that makes sense. don’t bring reason to a crazy battle, like don’t bring a knife to a gun fight. i’ve heard of lawyering up, but at 160 i’d think they’d start eating each other.

3 Likes

Isn’t this kind of like kicking a guy when he’s down? I get the impression Scientology is on its last legs anyway.

Protests?

HBO is expecting that the Scientology types will hire protestors?

@Boundegar sometimes it is necessary to ensure that they won’t get up again.

2 Likes

Well, that link brings an entirely different light to Babylon/Babalon 5…

That would be great. Unfortunately they’re sitting on unspent millions and can wait all their skeptics out until they can sucker more people in. They build grand cathedrals in the middle of cities they pay no taxes on and have the locals do all the maintenance and upkeep. They can totally afford to out wait anyone when their costs are zero.

I used to be in the churchin’ business, and learned something counterintuitive. Churches that are growing are always short on cash. Churches with big reserves are usually dying. The saddest thing is when the last three little old ladies close the doors for the last time, and there’s a million dollars in the bank.

Cf. Christian Science.

5 Likes

Perhaps the nature of the bombshell is one which will threaten their ill-got tax exemption.

(disclaimer: I am of the opinion that this is true for all religions)

6 Likes

Oh, may your words fly swift and true to the fates.

I, on the other hand, as much as I hope, harbor no such misgivings that we’ll be free of Scientology in my lifetime.

One would hope.

1 Like

Yes. In the way that Polio is on its last legs. We need to keep kicking.

5 Likes

With some guys you have to continue kicking until the guy is dead. And then for a while more, to be certain.

Then you end up with the few strongest survivors. And that’s what you want to release at the enemy.

7 Likes

That’s really interesting. I have a friend who tells a similar story about one of the fraternal organizations in America.

1 Like

[quote=“FunkDaddy, post:27, topic:46882, full:true”]
Perhaps the nature of the bombshell is one which will threaten their ill-got tax exemption.[/quote]

I readily admit that the specifics are a blur, but I thought anything that might be said to threaten said exemption has already been said at this point. Even if it turns out said exemption is due to well-placed Washington insiders in positions of power, well, it couldn’t be much worse than the C Street House.

Most churches don’t use slave labor for operations, though.

2 Likes

They’re volunteers.

Volunteers who have family members being kept in a safe place until they finish that roofing job.

5 Likes

“No, what the father meant is what is the cross made of? Gold. Got any?”

2 Likes

Isn’t a lot of Scientology plagiarized by Hubbard from what was then a relatively obscure UFO religion called The Church Of Latter Day Saints?

3 Likes

I’d have to assume its just about bodies. Have to go through every claim in the documentary with a fine toothed comb to make sure its doesn’t leave obvious openings for slander/libel suits, or come up with solid defenses for each one that might. Then you’ve got to do the same thing with British lawyers because Scientology likes to make use of the UK’s shit show libel laws. The less time you have to cover all the bases the more people you need physically working on it to get everything cleared in time. So they’ve probably hired a couple of very large firms to cover it all quickly and thoroughly. Any litigation would be a more sensibly sized team.

I always thought that it’d be an interesting sci-fi plot if Scientology turned out to be true and everyone else in the world got wiped out by alien souls or whatever and the planet was entirely populated by movie stars. It’d be like the expendables but with Kirsty Alley and John Travolta and Tom Cruise all just being themselves.

Tagline: The truth was so stupid that no one believed it, apart from “Look Who’s Talking” and “My Name Is Earl”.

7 Likes

Exactly the same thing, it’s not about Jesus, it’s about organizational dynmics.

2 Likes