'HE WON' — Trump admits election loss to Biden on Twitter

I’ll admit I’m most saddened by the Republican senators response (or more accurately, lack of one).

It’s beginning to look like Trump’s take over of the party may outlive his reign, with senators bending the knee to whatever Trump’s blathering on about because they believe he represents the current Republican constituency better than they every could.

12 Likes

I’m gonna say this is just a linguistic habit most USians have that doesn’t follow logically. He doesn’t really mean he won and it’s an annoying way of speaking.

Yes, Biden won, but Trump isn’t admitting it. Pouncing on this is as nitpicky as any Republican rhetoric.

18 Likes

I honestly think it’s even more cynical than that. They know the average GOP voter’s attention span and fidelity to their ideals is fickle, at best and easily manipulated. This is all about the GA senate runs (which trump would happily torpedo if he thought anyone cared more about them than him) and whatever legislative maneuvering they can accomplish before Jan 20. I doubt they’ll ever offer anything like a historically accurate version of the last 4 years, but I don’t really see them even bothering to defend him after he’s gone.

However, there does seem to be some sort of oppo he has over certain people (cough cough, Lady G) that may hold their loyalty for a bit longer, yet.

7 Likes

2 Likes

On this issue- I am a strict texualist!

Wonder if he’s going to get booted to Parlous after the inauguration?

14 Likes

TheCount

24 Likes

Conservatives - who define that in fiscal, social, or religious terms - can be found among multiple ethnic groups. Their numbers in “minority” communities are large enough to tip the scales in a close election. To get them to change, those on the left must engage them on more than economic points if they want to see an improvement in future election results and less of the scarefolk winning state and local races.

11 Likes

Stupid enough to believe him, trust him, and vote for him. That’s how stupid they are.

12 Likes

This. History shows that, at least in America, we’ve never made progress through comprehensive consensus. Rather, progress was forced upon intransigent regressives who eventually get somewhat used to the new normal or even embrace it as if it was their idea all along.

23 Likes

One minor nitpick: the economy had already reached a downward inflection point months before COVID.

Carry on.

Just like voting against their own economic interests, racism is also voting against their own interests, both economically and socially. POC have demonstratably, concretely, quantitatively enriched our society. Voting against equality is yet another example of ignoring science to our own detriment. It’s a false belief in a zero sum game where none exists.

16 Likes

The Turmp episode may have thrown the GOP’s political vision into stark relief, but I don’t think it’s really changed it. Their one and only plan is to get power, and use that power to create whatever reality lets them win the next election, and a lot of us have been saying that for decades.

One thing Turmp has shown them is they don’t need to be at all subtle about it. You can literally just say “a Mexican will shoot you unless you vote for me”; anyone gullible enough to vote Republican doesn’t need or want a more elaborate explanation than that. So if they were ever holding back with their assault on reality, that’s over.

But the flip side is, it’s now out in the open just how dumb their magic formula is. You don’t need to be part of the GOP establishment to use their playbook; in fact that’s a liability, as Jeb Bush et al. could tell you. All these human scorpions like Hannity, Carlson, Jones, Shapiro (…) who’ve excitedly championed Turmp, that’s not because they think he’s special (he isn’t) or has great ideas (he doesn’t). It’s because every last one of them is thinking “if he can do it, so can I”.

I don’t see four years of the GOP lining up to pay court to the withered husk of loser Donald Turmp. I see a reality show from the bowels of Hell, with the worst of humanity vying to be the next moral train wreck that people can’t look away from.

Hopefully, this will mean the GOP incinerating itself a bit faster than it can incinerate society. I’m excited to find out!

17 Likes

Absolutely, but these people are the opposite of global/systematic/holistic thinkers. We have to start with the fact that they fail to vote even in their own basic economic self-interest. I’ve known small children who grasped basic linear concepts quicker than a lot of GOP voters do.

12 Likes

“I’m not racist, but…”

7 Likes
16 Likes

vote tabulated by a Radical Left privately owned company

And we all know how the radical left are famous for their support of privately owned companies. Is this also him admitting that he is a fascist? How right wing do you have to be to think that capitalism is the radical left? :roll_eyes:

I know, it is more obvious lies that his base will uncritically accept, but the lies seem to be getting more ridiculous every day.

15 Likes

I think it was John Oliver who pointed out that if those 3 million were (as Trump claimed) illegal immigrants, and Biden got 5 million extra votes this time, then logically Trump has let in an extra TWO MILLION illegal immigrants!

14 Likes

As opposed to these folks, who own it both online and in the street:

17 Likes

To quote a gross but apt analogy, Trump is the blacklight in the hotel room that is the Republican party. He did not create the mess, but he certainly threw a very bright light on it. The terrifying thing is how many people (70 million or so) seem to think it is just fine.

22 Likes

Because I don’t know who Watters is, I thought the response was ironic/sarcasm regarding 2016.

Unfortunately I might’ve consoled myself with that 4 years ago…

1st thought: Pence is Q!!
(ETA)
2nd thought:

8 Likes

This is huge! VP Mike Pence Resigns!

8 Likes