Healthcare PSAs and BSAs

On June 1, the Oregon-based dairy co-op alerted Costco members who had purchased its twin-pack of Tillamook cheese slices because the company said it “identified a very small quantity of gray and black plastic pieces” that may be present in a limited quantity of its Monterey Jack Cheese.

Wisconsin-based dairy company Schreiber Foods Inc. has recalled more cream cheese products as part of an ongoing recall due to potential salmonella contamination.
As of the time of publication, the cream cheese maker has recalled 836,721 units of cream cheese products, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration incident report initiated on May 3.
Several major food retailers, including Hy Vee, Kroger, and Aldi, distributed and sold the affected cream cheeses.
The recalled products were distributed in California, Florida, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin. The products were also shipped to Puerto Rico.
A total of eight cream cheese spreads made for various supermarkets and sold under different names are impacted by the recall including Dunkin, Dutch Farms, Happy Farms, Fareway, and Essential Everyday.

Kinda wondering if we need a thread dedicated to health-related recalls. Seems like there have been quite a few recently.

9 Likes

Hell to the yeah. I for one would appreciate it.

10 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes

TAKEAWAY:

• Use of melatonin was associated with a 58% reduction in the risk for developing AMD, according to the researchers.
  • In people with nonexudative AMD, use of the supplement was linked to a 56% lower risk for progression to exudative AMD.
  • The findings were consistent across age groups, suggesting melatonin’s benefits may extend to older populations at higher risk for AMD, the researchers reported.
10 Likes

I was recently asked to participate in a cardiac study involving ears. Found more details about the topic here (warning, contains dissection image):

This image FTA shows the three locations of interest:

11 Likes

Shall we file this under “No Shit?”

“If FDA had adequate policies and procedures, it could have identified underlying problems at the Abbott facility and required Abbott to correct them,” the audit concluded. While the agency “took some action” on facility inspections and follow-up, “more could have been done leading up to” Abbott’s formula recall two years ago.

10 Likes

Lake Anna is more a local thing, I guess, but these worries extend to pretty much any warm, freshwater body of water around.

ETA: Like I said, problems like this are common

11 Likes
10 Likes

According to the Justice Department, Done Global generated $100 million in revenue by arranging for the prescription of over 40 million pills of Adderall and other stimulants, which are addictive medications used to treat ADHD (attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder). Done Global allegedly eased access to the drugs by limiting the information available to prescribers, instructing prescribers to prescribe Adderall and other stimulants even if the patient didn’t qualify, and mandating that the prescribing appointments last no longer than 30 minutes. The company also discouraged prescriber follow-up appointments and added an “auto-refill” feature.

Son of a biscuit…
Asshole scammers found a very vulnerable population.

10 Likes
  • None of the roughly 2,000 women in the trial who received the lenacapavir shot contracted HIV.
14 Likes
8 Likes

There are over 100 brand names associated with the recall. All products contain the language “Produced and distributed by Snapchill LLC” under the nutrition facts panel on the can. The recall is for all products on the list, regardless of purchase date or expiration date.

6 Likes

OK, not nearly as encouraging as the not-very-encouraging headline would imply.
Some qualifiers: I have never heard of an “enriched study population” like they used here. It looks interesting, but I am unfamiliar with the technique. Probably more important is that ketamine, which I used pretty frequently when I was an ICU doc, has the problem of developing tolerance fairly quickly. Not typically a problem in its usual theater, but as a chronic home med, this would become an issue, I suspect.
But here’s the meat of it. Fairly small study, showed some positive impact. The effect of antidepressants is incredibly variable and difficult to predict. This is why so many folks have been tried on med after med, trying to find one that works for them. I still have hopes it can be worked through, and if it is effective, that the tolerance can be figured out via chemical wizardry. But it is definitely not ready for prime time right now.

9 Likes

No evidence of harm, mind you, but it is a multibillion-dollar business that provides no apparent benefit. I tell parents all the time, it won’t hurt your child, but it will give them expensive pee and cost you money. That’s about it.

10 Likes

Same for vegans who might be low on certain vitamins or nutrients? Same for others who might be low on Vitamin D or Iron? :thinking:

5 Likes

If you are deficient, or your doc suggests it, no. Vegans usually need folate/B12 supplements, most of us need vit D supplements, lots of women need iron supplements. But these are directed supplementation for a reason. The usual multivitamin “just in case” sort of thing is what this is talking about.

10 Likes

For obvious ethical reasons, I will not go into any details here, but for god’s sake, get your kids vaccinated!! If it’s not important for your own children, think of the ones who are too young and too vulnerable to get their vaccines. It is indeed fortunate that I have lots of mead in the cellar 'cause I am gonna need it.

period crying GIF

17 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes